Wood heat for new house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the process of possibly building my house this coming summer. I want to use wood to heat it. House is going to be 860 t0 960 sq. ft. R-21 in the walls R-38+ in the attic. How do you suggest to heat it? Just a stove in the basement for now? If not a stove an OWB? I'd prefer to stick with hot water over hot air.

Sounds like you hardly need any heat. Got natural gas available? You could probably heat the house with a domestic hot water heater and some small sections of baseboard hot water heat. Or get a few antique cast iron radiators.

It get's a little cold here in PA lol. I wish I had natural gas available. I'll probably go the domestic water heater route while I'm building it. A water heater would still need a pump though wouldn't it? The route I was kinda thinking for now was a stove and then a water heater for back up.

My house is twice that size with half the insulatuon and a wood furnace keeps me to a tank or less a year of propane. Any way you can put a wood stove not in the basement? I think a stove and a furnace would work well. Or a stove and a small boiler with radiant heat might be nice.

Is your basement a walk-out? Will it be insulated? If you can easily get wood into your basement, a forced air wood furnace or wood stove down there would be very nice I think. It shouldn't take much wood to hear a small house with that much insulation.

I like the idea of being able to drive a load to the basement doors, loading into a room so it stays dry and warm. Then being able to go down there in your tighty whities and load the stove.

I haven't even broke ground yet, just want to get all my ducks in row. I would love to able to have a walk out basement but I don't know if that's feasible, it's a pretty flat lot. I'd prefer to stick with wood because it's free and there's plenty of it around. I thought of maybe putting a stove in the basement and using the bilco doors as a storage area for wood. Will a stove at one end of the house in the basement give an even heat upstairs? Most of the OWB's I've looked at have been rated for 1500+sq.ft. Can a OWB be too big?

If you don't have walkout doors but you do want to put your wood appliance in the basement, I would make sure to put a large enough opening window/egress in the room you plan to store the wood in. That way you can just chuck the wood in the basement from outside and don't have to drag it through the house.

That was my old set up. Volcano woodstove downstairs and slid wood into room through basement window. Have now had two different OWB's and would not go back. Mess outside and reduced risk of fire. Oversized is only a problem if you overload your boiler and do not regulate to get clean burns. Another plus, is less handling of wood.

For a house that small, a normal wood stove will have no trouble heating that.

Heck I heat a house almost 2x that size in Alaska on ~3 cords a winter. Heating season here is about 7 months. September to May. Normally by mid October we have snow on the ground.

An outdoor wood boiler is all nice and good, but why spend ~15k when a $1000 stove will be plenty?

So right now I'm leaning towards using a stove in the basement. What you guys use for a flue? Double wall pipe or a traditional masonry flue?

Most new construction will make a wood frame, brick veneer and go triple wall stainless inside. From the outside most people don't know the difference. Plan for extra flue incase for your furnace/water heater. What do you plan on doing for primary heat? Gas, oil, electric, heat pump?? What utility options do you have, electric/natural gas??
Put a cold water holding tank near your stove so than it can temper before going into your water heater.

Growing up our house had a bilco door on the side. We'd put plywood on the stairs to make a stuce and roll/slide the wood down. The base of the stairs had an insulated door so that it would seal against the temps. We've cold store hubbard squash on the steps and keep through the winter. Having about 4-cord under our side porch near the stove was really nice when the weather was bad outside. CURE your wood outside BEFORE you bring it inside and fewer CRITTERS will come along for the ride. You can also spray it outside well ahead of bringing it inside.

Heating from the bottom up made the 1st floor feel so nice. If your traditional furnace has a return in the basement it will do the work circulation the heat with it's fan. Insulate your foundation inside and outside extra well will pay off. Got ICF foundation and SIP walls??

I'm plus 1 on free standing stove in basement. Something with enough burn time to run the night will serve you well. If you're wanting to heat basement up DON'T go small you'll regret it.

Not sure about the triple wall? Have not seen anything in recent memory but class a double wall stainless here for freestanding stoves. Something to consider.
A basement installed freestander should be sufficient. As mentioned. Load through a egress opening. A slide works nice. Couple thoughts!

Latest posts

Back