Wood ID...Locust, Ash or Trash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got this pic from a friend...who is confused about what kind of wood this is.
I really need to add to my declining wood stash...

The pics are not the greatest, but most of you guys have been doing a lot longer than I have...what does it look like to you?
Thanks,
Reg
00J0J_8WOVYGvlUaZ_600x450.jpg

00e0e_1G01utM9COj_600x450.jpg

With the staining on the trunks it looks like Siberian Elm from here. Wood is kind of yellow though and looks like Locust except for the bark:dizzy:

Those rounds in the first pic look a lot like black walnut. The standing stems, not so sure. English walnut maybe? In the end, pine burns better than snowballs so it really junk?

Just from what I can see from the rounds Walnut may be a decent guess. Then I look at the bark and think cottonwood. Very hard to tell from the pics. Can you get close ups?

You would think the owner would know if its walnut right? Are there any walnuts in the yard? It does look like some type of walnut to me. There's no mistake about my walnuts, just look at the ground around them. Piles of em!

You would think the owner would know if its walnut right? Are there any walnuts in the yard? It does look like some type of walnut to me. There's no mistake about my walnuts, just look at the ground around them. Piles of em!
He doesn't know the difference between a pecan or a walnut...:laugh:
No more mentions of Cottonwood...

My 1st thought from the bark was siberian elm. Then I looked at the wood, and thought walnut. But... are the pieces in the 1st pic reflecting the red from the car, or is that pink on the ends a few of the logs? Or is it my monitor?

Unless someone else sees the pink in the logs, I'll say siberian elm.

It's free and has good access. I'd take it all real fast. It'll burn better than snowballs!

Back