Wood ID please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a gum of some description from here. Did you do that with a hydraulic splitter?

Hydraulic. 21 ton that split right through most of the straight grained stuff easily. This piece had a branch off of it. The wood doesn't even seem wet. I threw one nasty split on the fire tonight and it didn't hiss or water at all. Just caught fire and burned.

It's not cottonwood. I have cut and split live cottonwood in the past and this is not it. There was no water at the ram when the wedge entered the wood. Split kind of like elm due to the stringy quality of the wood and it held together. The bark was real heavy at the base of the tree and got thinner as I worked up into the branches.

It's not cottonwood. I have cut and split live cottonwood in the past and this is not it. There was no water at the ram when the wedge entered the wood. Split kind of like elm due to the stringy quality of the wood and it held together. The bark was real heavy at the base of the tree and got thinner as I worked up into the branches.

Got any other splits we can look at? Any twigs or leaves? The more info, the easier it is to i.d.

Back