Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBuehner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yesterday I hauled home some firewood that cuts like hardwood, has a red colored wood, and shaggy bark. The landowner said he thought it was some kind of cherry tree. My tree ID skills (or lack of) are limited to oak, ash, maple, pine, etc. Any ID help and opinion on whether it makes for good firewood would be appreciated. Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_0869_zpsa3449068.jpg

IMG_0870_zps20f23fed.jpg

Yep, yellow Birch. Keep the small stuff for outdoor fires if you have them, that stuff smells great when burning.

Thanks for your replies rob066 and513yj. I have access to cut quite a bit more of this yellow birch and your responses have helped me to determine this wood makes for good firewood. Thanks, again.

White I can get away with a year, Black year and a half and Yellow 2 Years minimum your milage may vary. I buck everything at 20" and my splits range anywhere from 3 to 6".

Black, or Sweet Birch almost entirely. Got a few around here. Can be relativel difficult to split, but well worth the effort.

One summer stacked in the warm breezes and it's ready, but it's so good, why rush it? Very nice fragrance downwind when burning.

Back