Wood Master fans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason44

Reaction score
I have a WM 5500 and in an effort to reduce my electric bill I was wondering if it were possible to program it so that it open the flappers 5-10 degrees before the fans turn on (instead of at the same time). That way it would pull a natural draft to maintain temp for a while and if it was not sufficient then the fans would turn on.
What do you guys think?

there's no way to do that with the stock controller. there are aftermarket controllers that can be programed to do this, but your talking several hundred dollars to save a few bucks a month. unless you add a few lengths of pipe (more money) to your stack, i doubt you would get enough draw to get a hot fire going anyway.
i looked into this in my second season with my 4400. i unhooked the blower leads and tryed to get the stove to burn without it. i found that it took a LONG time for the temperature to start coming up, and it smoked like a freight train the whole time. what did kinda work was letting the blower run first, then just leaving the flap open to finnish the cycle, but again, TONNES of smoke. i just put mine back the way it was.

sorry to rain on your parade

Back