Wood Pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott76

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my wood pile. It is a total of: 1 tri-axle of logs (8 cords) and 4 trailer (e-z dump) loads (3 cords). So for a total of 12 cords. This is my first wood pile of my own. I’m proud of it. It is all ranked on wooded pallets to get it off the ground and cover with rubber roofing sheets. It sits under 2 large trees behind my backyard.

Then while we were using the splitter all the pieces that were on the ground. I built a little cover to keep it all in and off the ground.

All this wood should keep the wife and I warm for 2-3 years. We have a heat pump / oil backup. I burn wood when it goes below 40 degrees or when I need to dry out the house.

nice job Scott looks like it was allot of work. you did a nice job stacking.
that wood. it should dry nicely. can you post pictures of your splitter?
also what kind of wood stove do you have?

thanks
Jason

I used my sister's splitter. Its just a 26 tons (lowes, homedepot special). It worked great. Think its MTA or something like that. One pull and it started up. I think she said they paid 1200 for it. They plan to build and give up wood burning and go with gas (LAZY). I have first hand at the splitter.

I have a Pacific Summit Fireplace Insert. I knew cost of electric and oil was going up. So I bought it right after we bought the house (oct 06). I grew up cutting and burning wood. Its second nature to me. It took one weekend to stack all the wood and and a weekend to cut and split it all. We did it early in the spring so we wouldn't sweat our balls off and so it would be close to being dry for this winter. Its already have nice checking and cracking throughout the wood.

your quick ;-) i had to split and cut this spring also because i just started with wood seriously this year and needed to have it seasoned so i can burn this winter i use to just buy 1 cord a year but now at $200 a cord i just buy logs and cut and split myself works out to $50 a cord.

but this year i am going to cut and split this winter for next years wood. this way here i keep nice and cool wile I'm working.

i am buying a new Avalon wood stove this year.

here is my wood pile 3 16 inch rows stacked together total 8 full cords
i still have more to pile and ordered wood pile tarps from northern tool there on back order when they arrive i will cover it

thanks
Jason

Last edited:
I was watching your thread. I got my logs after you did. Like I said I grew up doing this in the mountains of PA in the middle of summer. Thats work!!

To cover your wood you should like into rubber roofing. I bought a 10x50 roll of rubber roofing from Homedepot. They were higher then Lowes but the do a price match plus 10%. It came out to around 200 for the roll. It you cut it 8 times into 6x10 comes out to around 25 for a 6x10 tarp that wouldn't blow away, look ugly and last you as long as you burn wood. I got the .064 thick rubber roofing. There is a .045 that would work too but for the difference in price $0.XX. It was just pennies.

I just didn't want to see a "blue tarp" in my backyard or pieces that have ripped flapping in the wind. The wind really rips across our yard do to the fields behind us.

It you look at the pictures. I have it no higher then the back fence. We can sit outback and look out over the oat field and the fence. The black rubber blends into the shadows.

Its all a personal choice. Alot of guys around central PA use the rubber roofing.

Real good stacking technique. It dries quickly like that. A good thing to have so much 'stored sunshine' ready for heating the domicile. In the attached pic these stacks sit in sunshine and wind all day to dry 'em. A lot of work must have gone into your woodpile, but well worth it.

HD sells rolls of roofing material with the little stone gravel surface, its $50 a roll and is great for a 2' wide pile, I think they are around 35' long. I can't see that material ever going bad in the sunlight, as its covered with stone. Heavy as $%#@ too so it doesn't blow around in the wind.

Some nice pics here!

Dean

Well here is my little pile.. the last 5 loads or so.. dropped off by either a 6 Wheel container truck or Tri-axle. I got lucky and get the wood for free.. not even sure how much any more.. and some of the wood is too much to move or barely cut with anything less than a 3 foot bar...

This is about 3 weeks ago.. made a little dent in it.. but still long way to go..

Pete

Last edited:
gslam88

Looks like a few more days of fun! Did you get that from knowing a tree guy or just walking up to someone or what?

Dean,

I am getting truck loads from more than one person.. one guy , also a neighbor for over a decade, is in the tree business & also the carting biz.. so I can getting it from either jobs.. his tree work obviously self explanatory and many customers get a container for tree he or someone else has dropped... drop the wood into his containers .. the other guy works for a land clearing and mulch yard... it is mostly right place at the right time..

I don't even use any of my own fuel to get this stuff in my yard currently... its all just the labor to cut, split and try to move.. ( as you can see in the 3rd pic.. even moving some of this stuff is very hard)

So fortunately for me it works out very well...

Pete

Pete,

That's a good thing you have going there. I have picked up most of my wood (something like 25 cords over the last 2 years) from work sites and from my next door neighbor, who's building a house in the forest next to me:)

Cheers

Dean

Dean,

I probably have had people deliver say 40 cords, and I have picked up maybe 10 cords with my truck..which is mostly pull up to a large pile of precut logs right on the side of the lot (total walking distance of 4 feet after the 90 second drive to get there).. and just load then in the back... so far in the last couple of months.. some already seasoned for a year of more.. and there is still plenty to get delivered.. but I just don't have the room right now..

I also just talked with a local gas station who was looking for landscape work, snow work and bundled firewood. Again hopefully right place and time

i am glad my lot is all nice and cleaned up with all the sawdust and wood scraps. from the last load of logs. all my wood is now piled.

and in 2 weeks i am getting another load of logs that i am going to let sit till winter time. for me it's to hot to cut and split wood in the summer. so it will be a nice winter project.

thanks
Jason

my pile ,
000_0553.jpg

Latest posts

Back