Wood processsors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you own or have seen a chomper wood processors in action and what you think of them?Any input would be good have been considering buying one and would just like to know what they are like.

I hope the chomper is a good choice. I just got home with one.
It's a simplex 14, with the automatic option. At my elevation the first thing I'm going to have to do is put a bigger engine on it. You will loose 3% of your horse power for every 1000' elevation, so at almost 9000' 18hp = 14, 24hp = about 18, and 35 = about 26. We'll see soon if this was a good investment or not.

Andy

I hope the chomper is a good choice. I just got home with one.
It's a simplex 14, with the automatic option. At my elevation the first thing I'm going to have to do is put a bigger engine on it. You will loose 3% of your horse power for every 1000' elevation, so at almost 9000' 18hp = 14, 24hp = about 18, and 35 = about 26. We'll see soon if this was a good investment or not.

Andy

Let me know how it works and a few pic's of it working wouldn't hurt.

chomper engine/ more power-tim the tool man will drool

Let me know how it works and a few pic's of it working wouldn't hurt.

Andy yourr local honda engine dealer will be able to help with the altitude adjustments for the carburator for youe chomper-high altittude settings are normal for small gas engines so readjusting the carburater should be no problem following the instruction manual supplied for the engine without ruining th ewarranty for it.

leon

please let me know if you are happy with the performance of the machine as your model was the one I was looking at as a definite choice. I am surprised that they did not offer a larger engine in lieu of your altititude-did they know of your operating alttitude?
also do not forget you are exhanging Brake horse power/rotary power for hydraulic power which is much more efficieint

Last edited:
I bought it used knowing that I'd have to up-grade the engine. The guys at the factory are really helpfull.
I will definately put a high altitude kit in, but even with the new jets you will loose 3% per 1000' elevation. Without it you loose a lot more. :cry:
I tried it out today and she is lacking a little. Talked to the factory and I'm thinking about getting a 35hp Briggs and getting the 36 gpm. two stage pump and upgrading the whole thing.
It's weak now, but I can see a lot of potential.

Andy

I bought it used knowing that I'd have to up-grade the engine. The guys at the factory are really helpfull.
I will definately put a high altitude kit in, but even with the new jets you will loose 3% per 1000' elevation. Without it you loose a lot more. :cry:
I tried it out today and she is lacking a little. Talked to the factory and I'm thinking about getting a 35hp Briggs and getting the 36 gpm. two stage pump and upgrading the whole thing.
It's weak now, but I can see a lot of potential.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Another thought comes to mind regarding your Chomper;
how would you feel about a small air cooled Duetz diesel engine?
The size range you need is three cylinder indirect injected diesel.
I think the smallest is 42 horse power but it may be a little smaller.
Duetz dealers are on the web so finding them locally is easy.

In the mine I used to work at they had Duetz diesels underground
and they are beautiful engines and using them on the surface will
prolong their working life tremendously.

The small Duetz engines have an oil bath air cleaner and that is the
best type of air cleaner for any engine.

If needed an PTX catalytic air cleaner can be installed to clean the exhaust too and they last forever as long as the engine is run full throttle to keep the catalyst hot while running. The exhaust gas purifiers covert the diesel exhaust to CO2 and water vapor and as long as the engine is in good shape it will continue to purify the exhaust.

leon

Yep, I've got a Duetz diesel in my Bobcat and I love it.
I'm ordering the 35hp Briggs though, the cost is a lot less and if this works out I'll probably upgrade to one of the larger machines anyway. (This is a test, this is only a test. ;) )
Here are a few pic's of what it's doing. The logs are Ponderosa Pine, and have been in the deck almost 3 years. Some of it's really soft, some of it's really tough and stringy.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper002.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper004.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper005.jpg

Andy

fire wood et. al.

Yep, I've got a Duetz diesel in my Bobcat and I love it.
I'm ordering the 35hp Briggs though, the cost is a lot less and if this works out I'll probably upgrade to one of the larger machines anyway. (This is a test, this is only a test. ;) )
Here are a few pic's of what it's doing. The logs are Ponderosa Pine, and have been in the deck almost 3 years. Some of it's really soft, some of it's really tough and stringy.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper002.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper004.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/Chomper005.jpg

red pine equals nasty burnign firewood if its dries and it definitely likes to explode in my boiler.
Andy

Yup I forgotten how downright nasty red soft wood pine is Yuch!!!!!!

Well I finally got the 35 hp briggs in, up, and running (Make sure you use the right key switch with a new engine. Ouch!). Got the high altitude jets (took over a month to get them).
I just ordered a new hydraulic pressure relief valve. It's only building 1500 psi and still does pretty good on the smaller stuff, but would do a lot better at about 2500 psi.
Here is the deck I'm starting on in the morning.

MillingJuniper008-1.jpg

Andy

Yep, lot's of rust. It was rusty when I got it. They must really salt the roads where it's been. When I get everything ironed out I think I may blast, & paint it.

Andy

Latest posts

Back