Wood Salad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have found that if I mix the species of wood I get a hotter fire. I like to have 3 pieces of Oak or Hickory and 2 pieces of Black Birch or even tulip poplar. The softer wood burns faster and ignites the hard wood its entire length. I don't do this before I go to bed or before I leave for work (requires more feeding) but when I am trying to get heat fast this helps.

Anyone else like to mix their wood?

Being the wood scounge that I am, thats about my only choice. Try to save the better stuff for nites or really cold stretches. Otherwise my pile is pretty much a hodge podge.

Anyone else like to mix their wood?

I do, Oak, Hickory and Elm, mix good seasoned or dryer light wood with some good 'ole hardwoods or greener wood. I mix sizes too, throw in a couple good size pieces (that will fit in the door) and then pack 5" - 1.5" around them....

Sometimes I spend 10 minutes walking around the pile to find that perfect piece for my OWB... Kind of crazy, but I enjoy it.

ps. My wife thinks I'm crazy !!!

Mine too, It just likes dry wood

+1 dittto If I get into allot of oak I'll throw some hatmatack(tamerack) in or some yellow birch too "level the playing field". Really snap crackles and pops in the kitchen cook stove. I save any apple for the fireplace on a holiday. Smells cool.:clap: :greenchainsaw:

I loke old barnwood. Burns hot and fast but gets the house warm in a hurry... Sucks having to go through once in a while and pick the nails off of the grates...

Latest posts

Back