Wood score with a dilema

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have the score of a lifetime happening right now, there is a development proposal on the property next to mine and on it there are about 16 large to huge maple trees... most of them are dead or dying and will for sure be coming down when work starts.
So I asked the landowner if I could have the trees and was told to fill my boots but hurry because the land changes hands soon.
I have a track loader (takeuchi tl230) with forks and a grapple if necessary plus a 4x4 truck and dump trailer, two good saws (stihls of course ha ha)
I also have two other people helping me in exchange for some of the wood... I figure I can get three days labour from each and we can get the trees removed by then or at least on to my property ready for cutting and splitting.

I have taken three home already in 8 foot lengths and it is easy to do by myself... the branches I just have to pile in burn areas for later, just not leave a mess....

The larger trees are dangerous to cut down as they are super heavy and there are about 4 of them I would like to get a faller involved in to get them on the ground, one is near a home and its not worth the risk... I am budgeting about 300 for this guy roughly....

So my machines, my fuel and saws and my 300 bucks for the faller.... how do I divide up the trees fairly and not seem greedy.... There might be 12 to 16 ish cords of wood when its split....

Plus I dont want to have anyone run MY saws too but thats another thread ha ha...
I do have my 12 year old son to run the loader back and forth with the logs, he is very good on it....

If it were me I would establish wood "payment" before work begins firstly. Then as always u can expect a finders fee urs, equipment fee urs, and then ur and ur sons share. Also I would keep in mind the workers u have found. One may b worth wood than others. And always keep the shares private to keep drama down.

Just my 2cents worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you forget about the hazardous trees and hiring a faller if they are dangerous and take the easy stuff. Sounds like you need to get as much ASAP. Take the big wood and pile anything smaller than 6" in a burn pile.

Back