Wood snobs.....Why??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll confess. I've become a bit of a wood snob, but for good reason. I have a limited amount of storage space since I live in town (small yard) therefore I feel I have to pick and choose what occupies that space. I just cant justify the space to the cottonwood, pine, and soft maple I was offered this year because the oak, ash, and locust that I have ready :cheers: are going to do a better job of keeping my natural gas bill down.

Pine is not the kine
Poplar just aint pop(U)lar
Oak, ain't no joke
Birch, I'd take to church
Ash is as good as cash
Beech, I beseech
Maple is my staple, even green it's my rice and bean. :cheers:

I wouldn't exactly define myself as a wood snob. Oaks happen to be the predominant species in the Ozarks so thats what I usually end up with. For me its more about the amount of input in labor and costs per BTU and a limited space to store it. I have enough room to store three cords during the summer months. Free and/or low cost firewood around here is fairly easy to come by. If the wood is completely processed, delivered, I have space for it and its free I'll even take ailanthus. If I have to perform the work the closer woodlots to my house that has the higher btus and is easier to process by hand will get priority.

I burn what i can get, But if there is a choice between a red oak and a pine tree, The oak is gonna win every time. This winter we burned mostly sweet gum.

I scored about a cord of sweetgum from a tree service in my neighborhood. It's split, stacked and drying out now. How did it burn? How long did you let it season?

I scored about a cord of sweetgum from a tree service in my neighborhood. It's split, stacked and drying out now. How did it burn? How long did you let it season?
Keep it dry,Do not leave it out in the weather. it will rot quick. If you keep it dry it will be good for next winter. It will grow mold on it. It burns decent if it kept dry, Not as good as oak but if it's free you can't beat free.

I find myself going out into the front yard at night to check on the smell of the neighborhood and make sure I am not burning anything offensive. I burn the fresher birches during the day (burnt hair smell) and oak/hickry/sugar maple at night, and it's not just for the long lasting ashes/coals, but rather based on smell.
Jason

No Jason, you have got a deadly serious case of OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ). You must NOW PM me with a Visa card for this diagnosis at the going rate of $399.99 for the initial consult. This smelling can get way out of hand.:angry2:
There are many more here with similar disorders such as Woodpiles: or the inability to pass your woodpile without drooling and staring at any hour.
People with Chainsaw Addiction are in that league also.:censored:

Back