Wood spar tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty rare a wood spar is used nowwadays you have a steel spar mounted on a crawler carrier or a Grapple Yarder like this one Grapple Yarder

The other way logs get from the cut block to the road edge is they use a process called hoe chucking using a highwalk excavator with a riser in the cab and a healboom grapple.

Hoe Chuck Machine

Yep, I worked for part of a summer in the islands of the Tongass Nat'l Forest, near Ketchikan, back in 72. We used a natural spar tree to log the side to a landing. The spar did double duty as the upper terminus of a second high lead setup on a skid road straight to the salt water.

On one side, the terrain was so steep and wet that the donkey (yarder on log skids), which pulled itself up the hill, pulled several stumps just getting up. Then, while guying the spar, several other stumps pulled out. The riggers were almost out of available stumps, but got the side set up.

RB
Just noticed your post here. I bet you were working for the same outfit that I did. Don Harbour Logging? Or maybe a guy named Blackie. We did a job on Dall Is. that was a three tree swing to the A frame. A bit different from the modern Hi lead towers.

Back