Wood Splitter Pic's (98% done)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacman

Very very nice looking splitter !

How does it split ?

Im not an expert but the wedge looks like you might have to add some kicker to the back side . Then again it might be ok . It looks like you have a very strong machine . Nice job !!!
WHERE THE H Have you been,? Tell us how your splitter is coming along??? E,J,

Nice Splitter

From what I see in the pics It look like nice project and well built.
Keep us posted ...like to see that log lift.:popcorn:

Thanks for all the compliments! I thought I would have to reinforce the stationary end of the cylinder a little. It is only welded on a 1x4" piece of flat stock onto beam. I did use the low hydrogen rod on the wedge. That i think is 6 inches of weld, with about 4 seperate passes across. I plan on using the splitter a while and maybe widen the wedge up with some wings. That should make the stronger. I have welded off and on for a long time, but never employed as one. I know sometimes I need to ask for a little help and you guys have helped. I had to take a quick road trip from Michigan to Missouri, Friday night and just came back. I want to get the splitter out and test it. I will let you know how it worked out.

WOW! I spent 34 years as a Millwright and I sure appreciate the over-engineering. We had lots of raw materials and tended to over-engineer everything.
Quality work you have there.
Would you adopt me so I can be in your will? I only want the splitter LOL :hmm3grin2orange:
Gordie, thanks for the offer, but my son helped build it too, so he gets first pick:) . When I get old and retire I just want to sit back and :cheers: Michigander

again super clean design!!!

looks like all that's left is a hydraulic lift and hydraulic four way..

what did you weld it with? Mig? 200amp? which wire? what gas?

how did you cut 1in & 1/2in steel pieces? plasma cutter? what size? model? or did you jobber cutting job out?

thanks for putting up with all the q's...

046, All I used to weld it with, was an old reliable Lincoln Welder. I had a local steel shop cut the 1'' thick pieces. I have a metal cutting band saw which came in very handy. It will cut up to 6" wide material. I wish I had a plasma cutter, they are nice. Thanks for the compliments on the build!

046, All I used to weld it with, was an old reliable Lincoln Welder. I had a local steel shop cut the 1'' thick pieces. I have a metal cutting band saw which came in very handy. It will cut up to 6" wide material. I wish I had a plasma cutter, they are nice. Thanks for the compliments on the build!

A humble Lincoln "Tombstone" welder EH?
A fine job.

Lolol on da push-plate bracing, man that thing is built! And built nicely, very well thought out project, looks to be well balanced on the axel too, you of course know that they locals here will require pictures of it in operation eh!
:clap: :clap:

:cheers:

Serge

Back