Wood Splitting Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've never used a wood splitter, but may rent one for a half a day. I assume it will be a medium sized gas powered one. The wood logs Im splitting is 12- 14" dia. red oak about 18" long. Can anyone estimate about how many logs I could split per hour? I'll probably have to split it in half, then split the halfs. Im going to saw the wood to length at the site then haul it home so I don't want to bring more back than I can get split in half a day.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Forget about the splitter. Red oak splits like butter and you'll be able to split it by hand a whole lot faster than with a splitter.

Jim

Red Oak has an amazingly straight grain, save yourself some money and have at 'er with a maul and wedges.

If you're set on a splitter then you can get away with a rather small unit because it doesnt take too much to split it.

Here are a couple pictures of some large red oak that I split by hand this winter. For reference, that's an MS460 with a 25" bar.

oak3.jpg

oak4.jpg

Jim

I've never used a wood splitter, but may rent one for a half a day. I assume it will be a medium sized gas powered one. The wood logs Im splitting is 12- 14" dia. red oak about 18" long. Can anyone estimate about how many logs I could split per hour? I'll probably have to split it in half, then split the halfs. Im going to saw the wood to length at the site then haul it home so I don't want to bring more back than I can get split in half a day.

Thanks!

I vote with the others. Do it by hand.

Drawback of renting a splitter is that you are limiting yourself to how much you can stockpile before splitting (1/2 days worth) which will probably call for renting the splitter more than once. To answer the question - a pickup load of what you are describing should run through the machine in about an hour or less. Even faster if you have a helper.

I just started my season's 'wooding'. Drug the splitter up to the new (future) pile, and went to it with wedge/sledge/maul. The only thing that goes through the splitter are the knots/crotches and other 'problem' pieces. The exercise is good for the old bod.

Harry K

I've been splitting it with a wedge and an axe, but I got a bad disk in my neck, now my shoulder and arm are hurting. I had to quit so that I wouldn't be too messed up to go to work. I was just trying to figure out how much I could split before I rented it. There's some free wood near me, but I didn't want to drag up more than I can split. I'd like to have it all because they're just going to pile it up and burn it pretty soon.

I would get all the wood. Then split as much as you can with the splitter. The rest will keep. As far as splitting by hand - yeah, hats off to those who do. But then people rode horses too before they invented Harleys. Rent the splitter.

aahhh...Rover, I remember when you posted the original thread about cutting up that big red oak that had fallen. I was jealous then and now I am again seeing that nice split oak. :cheers:

Sorry to sidetrack. I agree about splitting by hand, unless you are not in the condition to do so. I love splittin when the wood is real straight grained like red oak. I have a bunch of oak waiting for me as soon as the wife gives me a break from spring work around the house. No better time to stock the larder for next winter than now...in the spring.

I vote with the others. Do it by hand.

Drawback of renting a splitter is that you are limiting yourself to how much you can stockpile before splitting (1/2 days worth) which will probably call for renting the splitter more than once. To answer the question - a pickup load of what you are describing should run through the machine in about an hour or less. Even faster if you have a helper.

I just started my season's 'wooding'. Drug the splitter up to the new (future) pile, and went to it with wedge/sledge/maul. The only thing that goes through the splitter are the knots/crotches and other 'problem' pieces. The exercise is good for the old bod.

Harry K

I spoke too soon. Gave it a good shot today to get the PU emptied. Only made about 5 or 6 blocks before the old bod screamed "enough". I wimped out and fired up teh splitter. I don't think I am going to get back what I lost over the winter this time. Old age is not fun.

Harry K

woodsrovrs right. I split a lot of red oak up to 24", with knots, and it always pops right open. I like to cut and split on site, and I like to use a 6lbs splitting maul. Then just throw it in a pile and let it dry.

husky 338xpt 51 55
jonsered cs2165

I've been splitting it with a wedge and an axe, but I got a bad disk in my neck, now my shoulder and arm are hurting. I had to quit so that I wouldn't be too messed up to go to work. I was just trying to figure out how much I could split before I rented it. There's some free wood near me, but I didn't want to drag up more than I can split. I'd like to have it all because they're just going to pile it up and burn it pretty soon.

My back can relate to your pain, on a 4 hour rental, you should be able to split as much wood as you can bring home in one load and have time to take some breaks. If you have help, to keep the splitter area clear, then it'll go faster yet.

To keep it easy on my back, I'll bring home a cord of rounds, stack them neatly, then split the next day, and in about two hours there's more than a cord of split wood laying all around, that's also about when the splitter runs out of fuel, so it's a good time to take a break all-around.

Work safe.

Latest posts

Back