Wood stove and insurance question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I just moved into the new house, and out of the old farmhouse, over the weekend. Still moving a ton of stuff, but the woodburner moved so I went with it.

The wood furnace is an energy king forced air unit, 3 years old, shouldn't be an issue there.

The main question is my old pot-belly. It was built in the 40's or so, and obviously doesn't have posted clearances or epa data on it. I need to call the insurance company tomorrow to have them inspect the house later in the week.

What's the best way to approach this? I'm not positive on the clearances required, and to be honest I'm not even sure they are going to let me use it. Id hate to spend time and money installing this thing only for them to tell me no. At the same time, I would imagine they will want to see it. Maybe just don't mention it, then throw it in later?

It's going in the first floor living room.

Thanks for the help.

Very tempting, but I'd hate to make mortgage payments on a pile of ashes...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The reality is, it is their job to NOT pay out on anything if they can figure out a way to do so...... even if the cause of the loss is something they know is in your house, and they approved of.

Everything in life is a gamble..................

That's a good point. I think you're right. Maybe I'll just install it according to code later on then hope for the best.

They may or may not allow it, depending on the company, the stove installation (does it meet code), and the whim of the agent. We used to heat with a wood burning cook stove and a barrel stove in the garage. We had to get rid of both, and install an airtight. That made them happy. My advice would be don't try to hide it. Just get their approval, in writing, if they allow it.

When I had a wood stove in the house the insurance company wouldn't cover it unless it was UL approved. I don't think they will like your pot belly stove.

Contact the fire department for clearance issues and installation requirements. They will probably have to inspect it before you can use it anyway.

That's what I'm seeing from Google searching, that they will probably want UL approved airtight stoves. I was hoping not to spend the money right now, but I've always wanted a somewhat smaller stove in the living room. It would be nice I think to fire it up sometimes instead of running the big wood furnace. Or both on a cold day.

To add to my last post, the wood furnace isn't quite rated for the square footage in the house so I might even need a supplemental form of heat. Not sure yet, its hasn't gotten cold enough to tell.

Very tempting, but I'd hate to make mortgage payments on a pile of ashes...

You may have answered your own question..
Be Safe, Unless it meets Code, do not install a 40 year old stove..

Ok, I'm convinced. Thank you for the advice. Either way I'm fine with it, pot belly looks better and the new stove probably heats better.

How much worse are the lowes or tractor supply stoves compared to a good one? It's not like I'm heating an entire house the whole winter, just occasional fires. Maybe 3 or 5 times a week.

Lowes carries Englander Stoves under either the Summers Heat or Timberidge names can't remember which. US made, excellent customer service. Drolet stoves are made in Canada. Again a decent stove, I do not have experience with these though. Both makes are plate steel stoves. I do not know what lines TSC carries. These are basic stoves meant to get the job done ( very well I might add) without the bling and high prices and meet all the current testing and specs.

I would suffer with the 1 stove for now and maybe electric if you need heat in just a room or two. There is always tons of barely used stoves for sale in the spring, buy on then and install it. Might want to inspect your chimneys while you are at it. As for the pot belly, around here UL or GTFO. My agent read the specs off the stove, took some measurements and took a few pictures. If my ranch burns down I will bet they look closely at those pics. Anything wrong and I bet I have a tough time collecting.

When I had my chimney built. The brick layers insurance had much more rigid specs than did my insurance company. Good thing I didn't lay out and cut the hole for the wall thimble.

I feel real safe running my old pre UL- EPA- stoves that are made out of thick steel boiler plate.

No local/state code here, I installed (setback/floor) according to national standards, and went with UL-listed SS chimney liner for the one using the fireplace flue.

Well my neighbor gave me a small stove yesterday, not sure if they'll like it but I'm going to give it a shot. It's an airtight newer one but the tag is missing. He changed the rear heat shield, and that's where the tag was. The new shield is better than the old one and looks factory, shouldn't be a problem. Not sure what they'll say about not having build info though. It's a small one from tractor supply, just a cheapo. I guess if they don't like it ill just hold off on one with the tag and go from there. Or if I can figure out what model this is try and order a new tag for it.

insurance inspectors see stoves everyday, your not likely to fool one. a stove without the certification label attached is classed as uncertified. for less than $1000 you can get a very good woodstove that may last 20 years so why bother messing around with junk. how many people do you know drive their family around in a 20 year old uncertified vehicle???

how many people do you know drive their family around in a 20 year old uncertified vehicle???

Umm... Me. :D

1993 Lincoln town car, totalled in 04. I drug it out of the field in 09, beat it back straight, been running it since. No inspection in Ohio, so I guess you could call it uncertified.

I get your point though, you're right. No big deal really, its not like I'm going to freeze without it. The big furnace does good enough so far. It was about 30 here last night, had a small fire then let it go out because the house was too warm. Still warm inside, won't have a fire again for a while I think.

Latest posts

Back