Wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovewood8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering buying a wood stove for my house. I have a fireplace and i want to put a woodstove inside fireplace and run the pipes up chimney, will this work. Also what are some good stoves that and not expensive and produce alot of heat.

I guess you might get more replies than I will since you posted the same question I did, but worded it different.

Shipper:help:

Are you looking for an insert or a stove to sit on your hearth? You need to check all your dimensions to make sure you have the proper clearances. I have a stove as well as an insert. The insert I have is a Dutch west very low cost but amazing heat output. Only problem is the firebox is small and needs to be refilled every 4-5.5 hours. The stove is on the other side of the house and is a Vermont Castings Defiant. HUGE fire box but I don't feel that it is all that efficient. Check with your local stove store for info.

Are you looking for an insert or a stove to sit on your hearth? You need to check all your dimensions to make sure you have the proper clearances. I have a stove as well as an insert. The insert I have is a Dutch west very low cost but amazing heat output. Only problem is the firebox is small and needs to be refilled every 4-5.5 hours. The stove is on the other side of the house and is a Vermont Castings Defiant. HUGE fire box but I don't feel that it is all that efficient. Check with your local stove store for info.

On the defiant/. a friend of mine owns one.uses it daily.. She says if a gasket gets out of place it will eat wood.. She can almost put the fire out by shutting it down tight.. So when it wont simmer down she knows the gasket on the ash pan is out of place a bit. That defiant heats well.

Wood Stove Choices

Check out Hearthnet: plenty of opinionated info on stoves like Stihl vs Husky discussions.

If you can swing the $$$, look at recent EPA rated stoves either catalytic or non-cat. We have both, but the cat burns longer. They burn cleaner, burn more efficiently (save about 1/3 the wood), and are prettier ( important for the conventional partnerships :bowdown: ). Spend time at local stove shops asking about the stoves and burners' experiences. Ask lots of questions, and operate the doors and ash pans.

You'll need to remove the fireplace throat assembly and install a steel cover with a hole for the stove pipe. Remember that your chimney flue may be too large for the stove; for the average 6" spec flue on most stoves, a chimney liner will be needed. Go with all stainless, worth the money long term. The liner can easily cost the same as the stove. You'll get it all back in a couple of years compared to other fuels' costs.

Reliable brands are Pacific Energy, Jotul, Hearthstone, Woodstock, and many others. Reports from owners of Dutchwest and branded "Vermont Castings" made by CFM Majestic have not been good: problems out of the box, quality, durability, expensive parts, etc.

Figure out the space you need to heat, what you want for a look ( cast iron traditional, more modern steel, soapstone ), and loading ( side, front, top, or a combo), and color ( porcelain, plain that needs painting each year).

Good luck.:biggrinbounce2:

I have a Hearthstone Mansfield. An attractive, well made stove, that easily heats my home. Recommend also Vermont Castings. Either way, you'll enjoy a woodburning stove.

On the defiant/. a friend of mine owns one.uses it daily.. She says if a gasket gets out of place it will eat wood.. She can almost put the fire out by shutting it down tight.. So when it wont simmer down she knows the gasket on the ash pan is out of place a bit. That defiant heats well.

Hmm I will have to check that out, the thing burns all day just don't feel the heat out put is as high as other stoves I have been around.
Thanks for the tip

look for a fisher or an allnighter.

can't be beat and you don't nbeed the blower so you save electricity.

Figure out what area you want to heat and work from there. There are plenty of decent manufacturers mentioned here. If money isn't a big object I would look at the wood stove feedback reviews on Hearthnet and pick out what is most visually appealing to you for the area you want to heat and work from there. If you want to heat a very large area you may want to look at the models with EBT.

I probably would avoid Vermont Castings products because my dealer says they don't back up their product and he subsequently dropped their line 5 years ago.

If money is an object you may want to consider an Englander model. They are ugly but have many happy owners on Hearthnet.

Had a fisher in the basement for years.Put a woodstock fireview in the living room(beautiful stove)The fisher puts out more heat, burns more wood.The woodstock is better made and is lined inside and out with soapstone.The heat is less, but more constant, burns less wood, burns just as long and seems to burn cleaner and if it does go out the soapstone heats at least a couple hours more.The fisher is easier to load because of the bigger firebox and bigger doors.cooking on the fisher is fairly easy.Cooked a really good turkey on it one year,it has more cooking surface.The woodstock bakes a mean potato. Both make good coffee.Both have good features as most well built stoves do.I would consider any well built stove from the USA or Europe.Anything coming across the pacific I would really check out closely and probably still not buy.A big plus would be a good local dealer that backs his product.A local dealer could also check your chimney to make sure that its safe.Going cheap for an outbuilding may not be bad,going cheap for a house could be very bad.

i dont see anyone talking about Buck Stoves on this site much. i have the buck model 80 in my log home that has a centrally located chimney. it heats the the middle floor and top floor (bedrooms) all winter long without a problem. the basement gets a little chilly but still livable (~60*).

only downfall to my model is obviously needing electricity to run the fan.

here is a picture of mine although i have gold instead of black trim..

model80.jpg

Also what are some good stoves that and not expensive and produce alot of heat.

What's your budget? Could you install yourself? What size house in what climate and what's the insulation condition?

Basically $2k-$5K is what you're looking at in terms of cost, just about every modern EPA phase 2 certified stove will put out decent heat - with the variable being how much heat and for how long between refilling.

Are there dealers in your area that you could stop by and get an idea of what you're in for?

that is a nice looking stove.

i dont see anyone talking about Buck Stoves on this site much. i have the buck model 80 in my log home that has a centrally located chimney. it heats the the middle floor and top floor (bedrooms) all winter long without a problem. the basement gets a little chilly but still livable (~60*).

only downfall to my model is obviously needing electricity to run the fan.

here is a picture of mine although i have gold instead of black trim..

model80.jpg

i only have the smallest fisher in my 800 sf garage and it will ruun me out sometimes.i had an all nighter and it was too big.

i need to get something in the house soon.i'll look for those in my area.

Yep, that is what I did as well. Just used single wall pipe inside the existing chimney. Works well for me but it might not be up to code.

is cast iron or steel better? also are there any issues with the enamel color ones?

Yeah, be careful putting together the enamel-coated ones. The enamel chips real easy if you bump the pieces together. Other than that, cast iron or steel, the thicker it is the more thermal mass it has=better.

is cast iron or steel better? also are there any issues with the enamel color ones?

My wife insisted we buy an enameled stove, as its the first thing you see when you walk into the house. No regrets here though..... my old enameled Vermont Castings Resolute looks pretty darned good and its an older stove. You DO have to use care as not to chip the enamel, and a few are gonna happen eventually anyway. I know VC sells touch-up paint to mask any chips, but i've never bothered. I think you should just buy my Resolute !!!

this is my first post

i installed a heat n glo northstar last spring so this is the first year i have been using it. it is in my living room that has a 29 foot ceiling the house is a total of 5100 sq ft and i have a in-law in the basement. this unit heats the living room and kitchen to 90 if i want to and has two extra zones set up to heat the basement. i find the zones will not heat as well but i couldnt ask for more in the space where the unit is. it is also supposed to be super efficient. i would say i am really satisfied with the unit.

Latest posts

Back