wood to mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
terryknight

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
Today i picked up some cherry logs to mill with my new Alaskan Mill. 2 were 8'6" and the other was 11'6" about 16-18" in diameter. My buddy helped me out and got a load of firewood

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

qbilder

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Is that domesticated cherry? The smooth bark looks like a cherry tree I milled. It looked completely different than wild black cherry as a log, but the wood looked pretty much the same.

lmbeachy

lmbeachy

ArboristSite Operative
Logs look pretty straight for wild cherry on the eastern shore. I have some that have been cut for a couple of years but none that straight. Nice rig to load and haul logs. lmbeachy

terryknight

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
well i had a day to play with my mill

007-2.jpg

packed up everything i thought i would need

005-1.jpg

forgot somethings namely my toolbox doh!!

saw these guys mocking me all day. goose season doesn't start til the 17th. but i have figured out the best way to shoot them is to mill and they fly right over your head

008-2.jpg

finally got the log set up and the mill set up

009.jpg

015.jpg

first slab. milling is a success

016.jpg

continued in a second post....

terryknight

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
had a piece split on my. that was a little surprising

019.jpg

man this makes some sawdust (another pic of the mill, i really like this thing).

020.jpg

wood cut and stacked

021.jpg

022.jpg

read all the info/tips/tricks in the sticky it was very helpful. i will add: eye drops would have been nice, got some of that sawdust in my eyes. i learned alot and would like to think i got better and more efficient as a cut. thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:
mikeb1079

mikeb1079

ArboristSite Operative
looking good terry!

that timber sure looks like fruit cherry, not black cherry which is what i was thinking it was. i've always wondered what the other cherry species looked like and now i know. :D

don't worry about that splitting action cherry (at least black cherry) is known for it especially anything around the center of the log.

good job :rock:

Mac88

Mac88

Addicted to ArboristSite
Terry, do you have plans for that wood? Just curious. We just put a few hundred board feet of 1-by red oak in the basement to dry, with another hundred or so to go, and maybe a hundred of cherry. The Mrs has been making bookcase noises. ;o)

terryknight

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
okay I met the father in law. i was at their house warming for a little while. don't know if you were there or not?

i am having a blast milling. definitely worth it, IMO

Latest posts