Wood Week 09 Family and Chainsaws and Log Arches Vol 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just home for the night and thought I would post some pics of my trip so far...

My dad, uncle and I do this yearly... We take damaged/dying tree's from the families land for firewood.

These are the trees we target...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is how we get them out (ATV's & log arches)....
attachment.php

This old Oak is coming down this year, 30 - 36" diameter at chest height.
attachment.php

Will post more pics later....

I'll be heading back up tomorrow morning.... Had to help my wife with something tonight....

This is the view from the cottage...
attachment.php

Here's a 18 - 20 inch Ash that's hung up on a rock.. still solid.
attachment.php

And the wood pile grows....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers.... I'll be back in the bush tomorrow, then home again at the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
A few more target trees..

Yellow Birch just off the trail...

attachment.php

They don't call this area the highlands for nothing... This hill changes 600 ft in elevation from this point. I, know that's nothing for the PNW folks, but for our area these are some serious hills.

attachment.php

A few other target trees...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Where to start??

I'm back from my trip... I've got a lot of pics. Not really sure how best to go about this;

By date,
By tree,
By activity (Felling, skidding, bucking),
Woodpile growing over the week,
Landscape,

They are going to be pic heavy posts so I'm thinking of moving over to the picture forum. Possibly multiple posts with links to each other so people with dial-up can view it.

Let me know, I'll be shrinking pics tonight and intend to get a few posts up so let me know what you want to see.

What size ATV's are those? I have skidded trees with my 500cc but no arch.
Nice cutting and land! you are lucky to have such a nice "little" piece of property.

Dont you just love ATVs for gettin wood:D
This is my 1st year cutting firewood so I don't know squat. I've been bucking everything where it lies and hauling it out in a trailer. If I had a power splitter I think I'd probably be splitting it in the woods too. So I gotta ask...why haul long lengths out of the woods if it's gonna get chopped up for firewood ?
Cool post Rowan. It sounds like a great time with family and friends.

Last edited:
Everyone has there ways.....

Brian,

We collect the families wood (7 - 10 full cord) over one week. Then split the wood over another weekend. The terrain is very hilly/rocky with narrow trails.... trailering would be hard. The distances are long so multiple trips can eat up a lot of time. For us moving splitter around to each tree would take up a lot of time and effort.

Everyone has their preferences. The geography plays a big factor.

Its a good excuse for all of us to get together.

Regarding the size of the ATV's.... small, Dad's is 300cc (350 maybe?), My uncle's is 100 cc more.

Here's a link to the woodpile growing...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=98656

This is my 1st year cutting firewood so I don't know squat. I've been bucking everything where it lies and hauling it out in a trailer. If I had a power splitter I think I'd probably be splitting it in the woods too. So I gotta ask...why haul long lengths out of the woods if it's gonna get chopped up for firewood ?
Cool post Rowan. It sounds like a great time with family and friends.

Last edited:
video of skidding and big oak going over.

Check out link to Felling vol3 for the big oak going over (still processing at 1:45am, hopefully it will complete soon).

The link for Skidding Shots has a video link now too.

Regarding your Log Arches, is the mud collected on the log as you drag it a big deal? I've been thinking about making one but I'm concerned about dulling my chains after one cut!

Thanks,
Mark

Without a doubt the best post ever!! Love the woods the family the saws and the atv skidding especially!! nice job dude:clap:

Latest posts

Back