wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to have a beer after a long day cutting/splitting wood. At a little fire outside, watching over my work done during the day.
I work at a beverage company and we try to get a new beer each week. So working at the sources makes me drink more often but it usually stays at 1 beer unless I'm out with friends.

High Life? I just puked in my mouth, and I just finished lunch.

The lowest I go is PBR, but that was when MA enacted the alcohol tax. I'm back to Bud & Sammy's for the most part.

I do enjoy stacking and drinking a beer or two. Friday night, nice warm woodstove, sure I'll probably have a couple while watching a movie with the wife.

I guess you win the the beer & wood connection, if you drink Bud..:eek: Beech wood aged Clydesdale urine!!! YUK!! GAG!!!:D

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks for the quote, Whitespider. Would you mind sharing the source? Working in the beer business, as I do, I often see something similar attributed to BF, usually "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." I was always dubious of the validity of that quote, but if you can point me to the real source and context, I'd be deeply grateful.

I have a T-shirt that says - Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. If it's on a T-shirt it has to be fact.

I always thought ... beer and wood ... wood and beer ... is a lifestyle.

Where's Waldo?

DSCF0740_zps531750db.jpg

After moving wood, we start moving cold ones. However the key word is after, to me I like to work and I like to drink, but when they coincide it it just doesn't seem as much fun.

I believe it was "old blue eyes" Frank Sinatra who said, "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. For when they wake up in the morning that is as good as they are going to feel all day."

Cheers to all of you whose days get better as the go along :givebeer:

When the DOT can pop you for a drug/alcohol screen in the blink of an eye, you don't want any sort of alcohol in your system, not even mouthwash. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the quote, Whitespider. Would you mind sharing the source? Working in the beer business, as I do, I often see something similar attributed to BF…

Heck no, I don’t mind sharing the source. There are more false/fake quotes attributed to Benjamin Franklin than any other Founding Father… and being the history buff and Constitutionalist that I am, I’ve ferreted-out many. There is no proof that Franklin ever said, or wrote, “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." In fact, I read somewhere that a beer brewer put up a substantial reward for that proof back in the 80’s… and as of yet, no one has made claim to it.

Checking the validity of Ben Franklin quotes is relatively easy… there is a web site that has any, and all, papers attributed to Franklin free for research. You can find it here…
Packard Humanities Institute: The Papers of Benjamin Franklin
The quote I posted can be found in Vol. 30, p 50; contained in the fourth paragraph of a 1779 letter written to Andre Morellet (Frenchman, member of the “Enlightenment, and friend of ol’ Ben). The problem is that this web site does not translate the writings and Ben wrote the letter in French… depending on the translation it may not read exactly the same. Here is the actual paragraph from the letter (in French)…
On parle de la conversion de l’eau en vin, à la noce de Cana, comme d’un miracle. Mais cette conversion est faite tous les jours par la bonté de Dieu devant nos yeux. Voilà l’eau qui tombe des cieux sur nos vignobles; là, elle entre les racines des vignes pour être changée en vin; preuve constante que Dieu nous aime, et qu’il aime à nous voir heureux. Le miracle particulier a été fait seulement pour hâter l’opération, dans une circonstance de besoin soudain qui le demandait.
And the most accepted translation reads like this…
We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it.
But, for example, if you use Google Translate, it reads like this…
We're talking about the conversion of water into wine at the wedding in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is done every day by the goodness of God before our eyes. This is the water that falls from heaven on our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines to be changed into wine; constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. The particular miracle was done only to hasten the operation, under circumstances of sudden need that asked.
I find Google Translate to be a good tool, but it doesn’t always use direct translation, rather it tends to try and make the translation in “modern” phraseology… and ol’ Ben didn’t speak “modern”.

I almost always come home and have a beer while I unload my last truck full. It pushes me harder on that last load when my back is aching and my sweat soaked boots are starting to turn cold knowing there is a cold one waiting!
Sometimes if its early enough and warm enough I'll enjoy a cigar as well.
My standby domestic is Miller Lite and one of my favorite "other" beers is an 1888 Bock from leinenkugels.
I'll drink pretty much anything except Bud Light. That stuff is awful!
View attachment 274265

View attachment 274266

Thanks, WS! I've wanted to get to the truth of that bit of bogosity for a long time. Say, maybe wine makers should start making T-shirts with the genuine quote on them!

When the DOT can pop you for a drug/alcohol screen in the blink of an eye, you don't want any sort of alcohol in your system, not even mouthwash. Just sayin'.

I dont any at all. I have to always have my wits and physical coordination available to full capacity to deal with unexpected emergencies and so on, plus I grew out of the buzz and party or social factor, just one day decided I didnt like it and quit. Wish I had quit decades earlier, or never started. I can hang around other people drinking, just I dont care to.

Now sometimes my back is out and I cant do much at all about that, I am not doing that on purpose, but I cant risk back out on top of being buzzed or outright drunk at any time. Plus I just dont like the taste. Funny how that happened, one day, loved beer, next day it about gagged me, any kind, boutique, cheap, didnt matter. Freeking weird, but it happened.

Back