Wooden House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nywalleye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody so I've been reading a lot of news lately consisting of fires related to wooden homes or log cabins. My questions is what safety measures can I take to ensure this doesn't happen to mine? I'm considering installing a sprinkler system , just wanted to get some other ideas from the forum.

Are you trying to prevent a fire from starting in your home or are you looking for ideas on how to protect it in the event of a wildfire?

millions of buildings have been built over the years with wood with zero problems regarding fire. Can it happen, yes. Best preventative, follow the building codes and fire codes and you'll be fine.

That's good news to hear, Im pretty sure everything is up to code, but thank you for the advice.

Are you trying to prevent a fire from starting in your home or are you looking for ideas on how to protect it in the event of a wildfire?

A bit of both honestly. Just thinking out loud in a sense and wondering if there are any measures that would help prevent such a catastrophe from occurring.

Create defensible space, and remove ladder fuels. Fire departments have to make hard decisions sometimes, and if you've do me your part, they'll fight harder to save your property. If you've got brush all over and three years worth of needles on the roof they'll go save your neighbors house.

Don't store the gasoline in your daughters room when she plays with the roller skate barbie (the one that makes sparks)

Create defensible space, and remove ladder fuels. Fire departments have to make hard decisions sometimes, and if you've do me your part, they'll fight harder to save your property. If you've got brush all over and three years worth of needles on the roof they'll go save your neighbors house.

That makes complete sense, and I can see where your point is coming from. Basically what your saying is to take precautionary maneuvers ahead of time, and hope everything will be alright? haha

Don't store the gasoline in your daughters room when she plays with the roller skate barbie (the one that makes sparks)

But how else is roller skate barbie going to inspire the world? She has all this fire built up inside of her and sometime skating in an gasoline filled rink is her only release...

I am unsure of the official stats but I would bet if an inside wood burner is the main concern, then the cause is mostly from creosote build-up in the flue or faulty flue installation/maintenance/inspection. In other words the flue has to be rock solid, correct for the application, and relatively clean. Of course having combustibles too close to the heat is a no brainer.

Keep your chimney clean regular, limit the amount of hazards you have around and keep your alarms functioning and at least one extinguisher nearby that's in good working order. I keep one in the kitchen and one in the shop.

The local fire dept is a small volunteer detachment and when it comes to structure fires unless there's someone inside all they do is prevent them from spreading and just let it burn down.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Hey everybody so I've been reading a lot of news lately consisting of fires related to wooden homes or log cabins. My questions is what safety measures can I take to ensure this doesn't happen to mine? I'm considering installing a sprinkler system , just wanted to get some other ideas from the forum.
dont shoot of fireworks in your house

Love your truck NYwalleye. I had a '68 3/4 ton in my younger days. Painted Imron purple 'flake, BIG mud grips on the back, 3 on the tree... loved that truck.

As far as the house goes, make sure your plumbing is set up so you can turn the water off to the house, away from the house, and still have a water spigot to attach a hose. To clarify, you don't want to be in a position where you have to turn off the water at the meter/well because the house is on fire, and then not have access to water.

Latest posts

Back