woodland Pro or Oregon saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cutter on the Carlton 3/8 lo/pro is twice as long as the others, which is why I sell it...
+1! I use the Carlton .325 on my Echo CS3900 and I have sharpened the most recent chain 7 times with my Granberg 12v grinder. It's still good and should take another 5 more sharpenings before I put her out to pasture. Terrific teeth on this chain.

+1! I use the Carlton .325 on my Echo CS3900 and I have sharpened the most recent chain 7 times with my Granberg 12v grinder. It's still good and should take another 5 more sharpenings before I put her out to pasture. Terrific teeth on this chain.

That actually is very few sharpenings - do you wait until they are totally rocked out??? :confused:

That actually is very few sharpenings - do you wait until they are totally rocked out??? :confused:
Nope, but it's interesting you would say that. After hiring a pro to grind sharpen the same chain three or four times, I've found that the chain teeth are history after the 4th. Getting 12 to 14 sharpenings per chain is a blessing for me. At $6 apiece, that's at least $80 savings per chain.

Can you clarify your question? What's the general rule for maximum chain sharpenings using a rotary grinder? Everyone I have talked to says that the high-speed rotary gets you a bunch more than a disk and is about the same as a gentle file.

Nope, but it's interesting you would say that. After hiring a pro to grind sharpen the same chain three or four times, I've found that the chain teeth are history after the 4th. Getting 12 to 14 sharpenings per chain is a blessing for me. At $6 apiece, that's at least $80 savings per chain.

Can you clarify your question? What's the general rule for maximum chain sharpenings using a rotary grinder? Everyone I have talked to says that the high-speed rotary gets you a bunch more than a disk and is about the same as a gentle file.

I only use files, so I wouldn't know - and I never counted either.....

So you hired a pro! Lol! All they have to do is charge to establish that and you dont have to be good at it either!

You dont have to take any more off with a grinder than what you would with a file to sharpen a tooth. It is quite common though to select the shortest tooth and set the stops so all signs of previous damage is completely removed. That may take a fair bit off some teeth that otherwise might not need it. You can back the stops off and manually feed the chain till each tooth is just sharp and no more. It is not ideal but if the chain was not running off it gets you back to work with a minumum of waste on the chain.

You can see that sometimes the blame gets put on the grinder man for what might have been an all whacked up sharpening job by the user. If you want to straighten it all out and even up every tooth and angle you would have to take the same amount off no matter whether you file, or grind; that is all up to the operator.
When I am bucking up dirty wood I just give each tooth enough licks to bring its edge back and only if I am getting run out do I work to organize their lengths.

Back