woodpile tarps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Tyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For years I've been making due with conventional tarps for my stacked firewood (3 rows deep, 4ft H 27ft L for example) but this year it "wood" be nice to have tarps better suited for the task... besides the 1 or 2 I've seen on Amazon, where do people get theirs?

Jon

trucker tarp's

if you know a trucker he may have a few that have ripped you can get some nice size tarp's, they are usually very tough,thick and last a good while and extremely water resistant , INDUSTRIAL PVC TARP'S northern tool they cost more new but well worth it

I have seen real Canvas tarps at any farm supply store they last 10 times longer flapping around in the wind. But this thread gave me A idea how about Army surplus?:)

The last tarp I purchased, I went to Tractor Supply and bought a hay tarp, they are expensive but really durable and come in pretty big sizes.

My neighbors have an inground pool. About 4 years ago they were throwing out their old pool cover, so I cut it up into several pieces and have been using them to cover my woodpiles since. Much more durable than the tarps I had been buying from the hardware stores.

if you know a trucker he may have a few that have ripped you can get some nice size tarp's, they are usually very tough,thick and last a good while and extremely water resistant , INDUSTRIAL PVC TARP'S northern tool they cost more new but well worth it

Truck tarps are nice, BUT....they can be heavy, and when it gets real cold they get real stiff. No worries of it blowing away though.

:agree2: Canvas tarps at a military surplus (state, fed, gov) work the best. Someone told me the old tents the military used were of a canvas fabric, good for woodpiles.

You can also check with a local Nursery if they are using greenhouses covered with the clear plastic. About every five years my local nursery replaces theirs with new plastic, and I get all of their old ones. The plastic is 5 mil, and lasts a long time. I have never had to buy any new tarps, by the time mine are no longer usuable, they are recovering their greenhouses. They were delighted for me to cart off all their old plastic, they used to have to take it to the dump and pay to get rid of it.

I just go by the local lumber yard (store), and get the tarps that come on lumber when it is shipped in. They and many contractors give them away free if you ask nicely, as they have lots laying around, and just throw them away. Very durable, usually black on one side, and white with text on the other. I used three last year on different piles. These are the tarps you see covering individual (2'x4's and plywood stacks) square shipments of wood on semi trucks and rail cars. Very tuff material, I am going to use the same ones this year, I just folded them up and stored them in the garage, very good tarps and best thing is the cost, Free !!!

snow_stove2_480.jpg

tarps.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back