Woods port & muffler mod - Which Saw? (Or: Help me spend my money!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The woods port & MM craze has caught hold and I think I need a fix. I cut firewood for myself. I have CAD. I'm going to send a saw off for the work and my choices (all Husqvarna) are:

261 "XP," 1998 version that already has the 262 piston and 3-shoe clutch added plus a muffler mod, handy (but not as handy as the 346 or as much range as the 372), plenty useful, probably supurfluous with the saws below:

346XP NE, 2008 OR '09, non-cat, box stock, most often used for any chore, carried on the tractor, etc., or in concert with one of the larger saws ;
372XP, 2009, box stock, really the only saw I 'need' for anything I cut;
395XP, 2005, box stock, least amount of use of all of them.

I'm thinking the 372.

The 261/262 hybrid runs great, works fine, and is such a 'tweener that it doesn't warrant it. The 346 is the obvious second choice, but I think if I can afford to have only one worked on the 372 is the one. I plan to MM it anyway and it should still fill the small saw role well. The 395 is really only used for the occasional really large tree and I can MM it myself (I bought it thinking of milling a couple large white oaks I have but to date have used only to cut the butt ends of big stuff for firewood and impress my friends:msp_smile:)

Thoughts? Thanks. -WSJ

You might wanna look into the new autotune Husqvarna's or the Stihl M-Tronic's. That being said you can still get a new 372XPW and have her ported. Or a 2171for that matter. But.....keep in mind, you would prolly wanna leave either the Autotune or M-Tronic version's stock. They are fine runner's fom what I have seen. And the future IMHO.

You might wanna look into the new autotune Husqvarna's or the Stihl M-Tronic's. That being said you can still get a new 372XPW and have her ported. Or a 2171for that matter. But.....keep in mind, you would prolly wanna leave either the Autotune or M-Tronic version's stock. They are fine runner's fom what I have seen. And the future IMHO.

But the choice is from amongst the saws that I already own! Nothing wrong with thinking about a new one (or new technology), just asking about which of the ones I got should I double down on.

But the choice is from amongst the saws that I already own! Nothing wrong with thinking about a new one (or new technology), just asking about which of the ones I got should I double down on.

LOL, I'm sorry. I just skimmed over it. I will read it better next time. My bad man. In that case 372 all the way.

aaaccck! You guys are like the audience on those TV quiz shows when the contentant asks for help. The two obvious non-choices get tossed out quickly and the audience splits evenly on the other two choices. And of course the 346 & 372 were my short-list saws anyway. I'm not sure the toy fund's going support having two saws done, advice here notwithstanding! -WSJ

Latest posts

Back