Woods port & muffler mod - Which Saw? (Or: Help me spend my money!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaaccck! You guys are like the audience on those TV quiz shows when the contentant asks for help. The two obvious non-choices get tossed out quickly and the audience splits evenly on the other two choices. And of course the 346 & 372 were my short-list saws anyway. I'm not sure the toy fund's going support having two saws done, advice here notwithstanding! -WSJ

I have a special on port work this week. :msp_wink:

I'm going back in mine. A little birdy gave me some tips on how he made his such a monster:rock: Seriously, his is the fastest and torquiest 372 I've ever seen, by far. It turns about 15,700 WOT and 13K plus in the wood self feeding with a good chain.

I'm going back in mine. A little birdy gave me some tips on how he made his such a monster:rock: Seriously, his is the fastest and torquiest 372 I've ever seen, by far. It turns about 15,700 WOT and 13K plus in the wood self wedding with a good chain.

I've had an ear open as well. It's strange how some of our "known" info is being changed these days.

Good grief! The last thing I want to do is start a darn bidding war about who wants to do which of my saws! I'd hate that.:msp_biggrin:

Yeah I bet you would. :laugh:

I've got a pile of saws to get through right now. I should be working instead of typing. :dizzy:

And I've been sending work to Randy, lol. Who would have ever dreamed there'd be a day when AS sponsors would actually share info and work together:rock:

I think it should be like that and am glad you feel that way too. I enjoy building saws and know you have the same affliction. :msp_wink:

Send one saw to one builder & one to another builder. You know...spread the wealth:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh man! If I had deep pockets I'd love to send a Dolmar 7900/Makita 7901 to each sponsor to see who could could work the best magic (something tells me each saw would be a keeper :clap:).

I read every post carefully and vote 372. It's the one you use the most, and after modding, that usage will increase. Get a longer bar to swap on for the few times you need it. After cutting with this setup for a while, I predict you'll find you don't use the other two. You could sell them and get the 346 modded. Those two would make an almost perfect setup.

Send one saw to one builder & one to another builder. You know...spread the wealth:hmm3grin2orange:

Wealth?! Shipping one saw off to be massaged is going to have me telling the kids to "borrow" lunch money from their classmates. Sending two of them will cause me to have to start now extolling the virtues of a used book - just one each - as Christmas presents. Of course I'd be lying, because I don't even have kids.

Still, I'd like to report that both Randy and Brad were so eager to display their skills that they were both practically begging me to send the 346 and 372 and swore up and down (figuratively) that they'd do the work gratis, just in return for my valued expert opinion on their results. Dang, I'm lying again!

But seriously, it's not a bad idea and I think that's going to be the plan, especially if I can talk my neighbor into the 261 for a good price. $300 for the 261 'XP' with an 18" & 20" bar and 2 loops of 18" 3/8 chain sound like a good neighbor deal?

Plan is to ship the 346 to Mastermind's Institute of Chainsaw Excellence and the 372 off to Herr Snellings' Chainsaw Fitness Academy sometime around the end of this month or first of next, pending funds.

But if anyone wants to help the cause and keep the kids from having to steal change from the Salvation Army Santa guy, and is yearning for a nice 395 or maybe a nice rifle, PM me. -WSJ

Or

Oh man! If I had deep pockets I'd love to send a Dolmar 7900/Makita 7901 to each sponsor to see who could could work the best magic (something tells me each saw would be a keeper :clap:).
Hold onto them until the dolly build off! Maybe can work a deal with some fellas :p

Woods ported 372 is a pleasure to run! But 346s are good runners too!

Wealth?! Shipping one saw off to be massaged is going to have me telling the kids to "borrow" lunch money from their classmates. Sending two of them will cause me to have to start now extolling the virtues of a used book - just one each - as Christmas presents. Of course I'd be lying, because I don't even have kids.

Still, I'd like to report that both Randy and Brad were so eager to display their skills that they were both practically begging me to send the 346 and 372 and swore up and down (figuratively) that they'd do the work gratis, just in return for my valued expert opinion on their results. Dang, I'm lying again!

But seriously, it's not a bad idea and I think that's going to be the plan, especially if I can talk my neighbor into the 261 for a good price. $300 for the 261 'XP' with an 18" & 20" bar and 2 loops of 18" 3/8 chain sound like a good neighbor deal?

Plan is to ship the 346 to Mastermind's Institute of Chainsaw Excellence and the 372 off to Herr Snellings' Chainsaw Fitness Academy sometime around the end of this month or first of next, pending funds.

But if anyone wants to help the cause and keep the kids from having to steal change from the Salvation Army Santa guy, and is yearning for a nice 395 or maybe a nice rifle, PM me. -WSJ

Or

Sounds like a plan. Did I mention that I take trades for port work???? :msp_biggrin:

I very much like cooperative development. Even from a business perspective, sharing knowledge is good -- there's no reason to re-invent the wheel over and over again. Patents expire for a reason: so that everybody else can have their turn at a good idea, too. Kudos to these two excellent builders for embracing the community spirit and eschewing exclusivity. Too many words? OK: the Snellerizer and the Mastermind rock!

Back