Woods ported 461 VS 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade a 046 or 440 towards either of the 2 saws in the title. The 461 I know you can swap an unlimited coil on it and with the updated cylinder design it can be a monster of a saw in its category.
The 661 has some aftermarket wiseco piston options that interest me and I also currently run a ported 661 in my milling setup and love the m tronic carb for it as I feel the torque curve is much stronger and powers through with more grunt. I tested it with bucking 32” birch wood and milling against my ported 660 and it really shined when it’s under a heavy load.

My question mainly goes towards the 661 with a wiseco single ring pop up piston and a woods port on the cylinder, am I going to be held back at all using the m tronic carb? Would a 461 with the same setup in mind for the long run (piston, port, unlimited coil) be a better route.

The desire for this route is more of a want than a need since I have plenty of saws to do what I want with them. More wanting a fun saw since I have all my bases covered. I will still buck firewood, drop some trees, and do some smaller milling with either saw periodically but won’t be designated to anything. Any input is appreciated! Mainly looking for the cons or restrictions I maybe can’t foresee while modifying or running these saws.

The MS 461 doesn’t really need an unlimited coil, it won’t do 13.5k pulling a bar. I run stock saws, I can’t judge porting either- so I’m going to assume both saws gain the same amount of power & torque from porting.

What length bar do you plan on running? As far as power, I see you have an 046 & an 066, the comparison is largely the same, except the MS 461 & MS 661 run longer bars better than their predecessors. I like a 28, and at that length I’d run an MS 461. I would run a 32 on an MS 461 for the weight savings since when I play sawyer a lot of the time I’m hiking in with a pack with a bunch of other sh!t on it. The 661 will, of course, pull it better as well as anything longer.

Speaking of ergos/ease of use... The 461 is much lighter and about as smooth as possible for a rubber mount saw. The 661 has spring mounts, which is slick. I don’t have to tune it, which is awesome.

I guess it depends on what you need it to do and what bar you need to run.

Thanks for the reply. The 461 would typically run a 28” and the 661 would be a 36”. Either will be turned into more of a hot saw as consumer parts allow and as I’d tinker with them over time. They would also sport smaller bars just for fun depending on the job. You are right about the unlimited coil not needed on the 461! The 661 could also be used as a double headed milling setup one day too if needed. My 066 is woods ported and has a hyway pop up piston and runs extremely well. With the single ring wiseco pop up in a 661 I could see it being even more of an animal.

Latest posts

Back