Wood's running out! question:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goanin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Jerusalem mountains have had some cold days this Jan. and it is just the beginning. I don't thing i estimated thigs correctly when i got the seasoned wood into the shelter at the end of the summer. I thought 2 cords would do..

Anyway i've been trying to put my hands on some coal. Do you think that $27 for 45 Lbs is too expensive?

I also have a lot of Seasoned wood left in piles out in the field. It's been raining a lot and conditions are damp. Can i still use that wood? I've been told that rains dont soak far into the wood and can dry fast. If that's the case:

Can i get a lot of that wood after two sunny days, into the house? Is there a problem with have a large amount of somewhat moist wood in the house?

Thanks for helping!
Adam

Not sure about the coal. But go get everbit of that wood out in the field. It'll be fine. And mays well get some coal as well. IMHO, its better for you to pay a little now than go real cold later. Hope that helps.

No more than it rains there, don't worry about that seasoned wood in the field.

Get it back up near the Hooch, throw a tarp over it but leave the sides open, and run it.

Bring in a days worth and place it near( couple of Meters) the stove if it is balky burning at first.;)

Good hearing from ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Look around behind commercial buildings for some pallets and think about collecting them for fuel. Back in the 70'-80's I knew folks that did all their wood heating with them...

..."it's so easy they claimed, why make it so hard on yourself to cut and split trees for firewood"...

Now good pallets are worth money so be careful , you'll be looking for the throw-away pile.

You'll find once you cut up that slab wood it might get your water logged wood going to. That is as long as the water logged wood is truly seasoned. Let us know how you make out.

As far as the price of coal goes...I dunno. It's a commodity subject to market forces and it goes for whatever the market will bear. Also there's a learning curve to burning coal that requires some research... or else!

A lot if wood inside the house...

Is it bad for air quality?
Cause i wanna get as much moist wood into the hot house as possible

Anyway i've been trying to put my hands on some coal. Do you think that $27 for 45 Lbs is too expensive?

Adam

Ahh.....That is super expensive. A few years back it seem my buddy who works in a power plant said they were paying around $60/ton.

$27 per 45# is more expensive than Kingsford charcoal.

If your wood has been seasoned outside a decent amount of time, bring it inside near the stove and it will be dry in a day or so.

Jerusalem mountains have had some cold days this Jan. and it is just the beginning. I don't thing i estimated thigs correctly when i got the seasoned wood into the shelter at the end of the summer. I thought 2 cords would do..

I also have a lot of Seasoned wood left in piles out in the field. It's been raining a lot and conditions are damp. Can i still use that wood? I've been told that rains dont soak far into the wood and can dry fast. If that's the case:

Can i get a lot of that wood after two sunny days, into the house? Is there a problem with have a large amount of somewhat moist wood in the house?

Thanks for helping!
Adam

The bagged coal is costing you about $2000.00 per ton. A ton of good anthracite (hard coal) is equivalent to 2 cords of quality hardwood....so, you are paying $600.00 per cord. Surely you can find some sort of firewood for much less than $600.00 per cord. Find some seasoned firewood my friend. Good luck!

Last edited:
Can't tell you whether in Israel that is a good price for coal or not. Doubt whether many on this site really can.
Bring all the wet wood from the fields in you can. Rain will dry off the wood quick.

Goanin,

Once you get the stuff covered with the sides open, it will dry out in several days if it has already been drying for a year or so.

Rain and such, dosn't "Soak" into seasoned wood like with a sponge, rather it tends to dampen the outside of the wood and a couple mm in.

If you bring in a couple days worth at a time,and rotate, you wont be stinking up the house and the dry atmosphere from running the stove accellerates getting rid of what moisture is there from the rain.

Heck, go fetch a couple arm loads of the stuff and see how it burns right off the stacks. You might be pleasantly surprised.
We are knocking snow off ours currently, and after 30min of sitting in the ready pile next to the stove, it takes right off when placed on small coals.

Give it a run!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Trees in the Desert ?

You really got trees there ? The desert ? Coal ? :confused:

Try some of the woodworkers in town: carpenters, cabinetmakers, millers for their hardwood scraps to burn. Wet seasoned wood is only wet with surface water that dries quickly indoors.

You really got trees there ? The desert ? Coal ? :confused:

Try some of the woodworkers in town: carpenters, cabinetmakers, millers for their hardwood scraps to burn. Wet seasoned wood is only wet with surface water that dries quickly indoors.

We live in the mountains of jerusalem. It is not a desert!
I hate hearing that. 85% of the population live in the mediteranan climate zone of israel. Israel is beautifully forested around jerusalem, in parts of samaria, the galilee qnd the golan.

We live in the mountains of jerusalem. It is not a desert!
I hate hearing that. 85% of the population live in the mediteranan climate zone of israel. Israel is beautifully forested around jerusalem, in parts of samaria, the galilee qnd the golan.

Yeah we know....just yanking chain here ( olde American English expression ).

I spent many days and nights on maneuvers and training in country here with your I.D.F. ops groups ; we were impressed.

Yeah we know....just yanking chain here ( olde American English expression ).

I spent many days and nights on maneuvers and training in country here with your I.D.F. ops groups ; we were impressed.

Wait....
YOU were in the military and DON'T know MRE's are not freeze dried food?:dizzy:

goanin, I for one have never been to Israel and don't ever plan it, could you post a few pictures from outside your door to give us an idea of what your area looks like? We Canadians have the same problems with these Americans on here, they think we all live in Igloos. :msp_wink: Most of the Michiganders on here live north of me and Wisconsin too.
As for wood get that wood inside the house and run a dehumidifier if you notice a moisture problem, or at least a fan to circulate the air. I would think that having your wood stove running would get rid of any moisture in the air.
Canadian----->:poke:<------- American

goanin, I for one have never been to Israel and don't ever plan it, could you post a few pictures from outside your door to give us an idea of what your area looks like? We Canadians have the same problems with these Americans on here, they think we all live in Igloos. :msp_wink: Most of the Michiganders on here live north of me and Wisconsin too.
As for wood get that wood inside the house and run a dehumidifier if you notice a moisture problem, or at least a fan to circulate the air. I would think that having your wood stove running would get rid of any moisture in the air.
Canadian----->:poke:<------- American

My thoughts too!

I would be great to see where you live!

Your wet wood will be fine if you can stay two days ahead inside. Get it stacked near your heater, it'll dry out fast.

I do three days ahead here inside, but realistically, that's just because I can and have the space right behind the stove where it is nice and warm. Two days is enough to get that rain moisture out of the splits.

That coal price seems rather ridiculous. I'd skip that. And what the other guys said, go scrounge old pallets and wood scraps. Throw some of that stuff down in the fire first, then your good hardwood splits on top of that.

You might could also scrounge small limbs from any nearby orchards, they should be pruning about now. Fruit and nut wood is the best! Those small branches will add up once cut to size, and all you need is your smallest best fuel mileage saw.

Cut what you can, let the other stuff hang out in piles until it is dry enough to break up with your hands. Great stuff. The orchard guys are always stuck getting rid of it, chances are you can score truckloads for free for hauling it off.

Somewhat anecdotal

One of my recent firewood client acquisitions had a bad experience with damp/wet firewood stored indoors. They were delivered 2 cords of what they described as sopping wet wood and being that they typically store their firewood in the attached 2 car garage that is where it was stacked. They told me that every hand tool, power tool, pretty much anything metal in the garage was rusted heavily during the winter due to the excessive amount of moisture the wood released as it dryed in the garage.

I strongly advise against bringing any large quantities of wet wood into your house to dry out. That moisture has to go someplace and if you are like most of us in the winter you keep the house closed up pretty tight, essentially trapping said moisture in your home. To much moisture can also lead to molds and mildew, not a good thing at all.

As was advised already, get the wood and get it covered outside. Leave a couple sides open, don't encapsulate the pile of wet wood, this will allow some air movement and aid in drying. Bring in 2 or 3 days worth of wood and allow it to dry. As you use one days worth bring in another, keep the cycle going. Keep some air moving across it if possible and a window cracked would help purge some of the moisture. Not an ideal situation but you play with what you are dealt.

A Mission for FM

Wait....
YOU were in the military and DON'T know MRE's are not freeze dried food?:dizzy:

No need to hijack an interesting thread FM.

Now Banjo, some rations are freeze dried MRE's, some not. It depends ( you know ? :wink2:) on the unit, on the mission, on the training.
You don't know obviously, but freeze dried rations require 1. water, and 2. heat source. To enlighten the unenlightened: in some situations heat is not possible, and water is needed for, ummmmmmmmmmm .... drinking, hydration, which is more vital than food in the field or climbs. Ever done it ? Look up in your Google "sniper", or S.F., or any S.O. Thought you'd like to know.

You want to make some big $$$$$$, develop a nutrition product that requires NO water, no heat, tastes good, has enough calories for 1 adult male for many days, is light, and disposes of itself in human waste. Butt: first you must try any MRE, or freeze dried product for a whole day/24...outdoors.:msp_scared:

Have facts in order....before foot in mouth erupts again. :dizzy:

JMNSHEO

P.S. "DON'T" does not need capitalization. You are funny. :tongue2:

P.P.S. What's a "cow poke" ? We need Law Enforcement on this ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back