woodshed post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wheres that post about woodsheds? Id add mine but we'd have to have a new catagory for collapsed wood sheds. I used to like winter but now Im completely sick of it. 10x24 shed completely toast.

KTM,

That sucks!!!

I got to eyeballing the snow build up on both barns this afternoon, and decided I'm gonna move some of the snow under the eaves and rake the roofs a bit. I overbuilt the trusses and went 18" on center, but just eyeballing snow load it can't be good. close to 3' by my guess.

Got any improved plans for the next shed?

What gave out? cross bracing hold, or did it just blow out?

Man that just sucks!
Lemme guess, ya just got to the point with projects completed, to take a weekend off right?:bang:
It never ends.

Hang in there!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wheres that post about woodsheds? Id add mine but we'd have to have a new catagory for collapsed wood sheds. I used to like winter but now Im completely sick of it. 10x24 shed completely toast.

Sounds like a great NOT new thread...But I still want to see pictures...SORRY...

Ill get pics in the daylight tomorrow or sat. I had raked it the other day too, just in case. The last storm i guess put it over the edge. I think perhaps not enough cross bracing. It pretty much just pancaked down. I had built it with scrap lumber left over from building my house. I never got around to putting the metal roof on. Bet it would be still standing if I had that done.
New plan will be to use a couple of LVL's for beams and ridge, proabably recycle the rafters (2x6, 16 OC) and maybe use 3/4 ply (I used 5/8).

I can see from here what the main cause of the collapse was. Obviously, it wasnt full of wood. Actually, you have my pity. But dont do what my wifes dad did. He had a old 70' farm shed collapse in 1996. The insurance company actually paid him for the building(it wasnt worth $1) because it was covered by a blanket policy that covered all the farms buildings. They also allowed $$$ to have the mess cleaned up. He kept the extra $$$ and said he would clean it up himself. Well, now its 2009, and you know the rest of the story. I'm sure someday when he tips over, I'll end up cleaning up the mess.

lol...My insurance company took 1 look at my woodshed and said"You're on your own on that one"

Back