Woodstove paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted their woodstove? someone gave me an old stove that is a little rusty I would like to sand it and paint it but I have heard some folks say you can never get paint to stick to an old stove. Looking for feedback.

I just painted the old stove at my camp. It was fairly well rusted over, but after a good sanding and an application of high temp paint it looks like new again. The only problem was the smell of the curing paint when we lit the first fire.

Thats a great question I am thinking that BBQ paint might do it or even the enamel spray paint they use for engine blocks. Fair warning for anyone who gets a cheap Volgelzang stove TAKE IT OUT SIDE AND LIGHT A REAL HOT FIRE IN IT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT INSIDE! If you don't do that you will just about suffocate on the noxious fumes that come off of its first burn and do the same with your stove pipes. If you paint your stove and let it dry for say a week take it outside and light up a good load of pine to eliminate any residual paint fumes for your lungs sake.

The guy I got my stove from had two, he had just painted the other one and it looked great. He lit it up in his driveway after painting it to let the paint cure so it didn't stink up the house. Not a bad idea to do with black pipe if it's new too.

Latest posts

Back