Woodstove Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread needs to be resurrected again. Here's a second stove we installed this year...and what a great year to have it with the winter we've had!

image-3.jpg
Thats a beauty for sure! Do you cook on it too?

wow thats toasty. was anything glowing? with my old cracked up firebox stove i could get the first 6 feet of pipe glowing red to orange. havent had an oopsie with the new hotblast myself yet

Not a picture of my stove but close. It's a little cold here this morning and I was multi tasking, might have forgot to shut the draft door on my Hotblast. I shut the damper off before taking the pic.

View attachment 336168
i have a stainless chimney, and i let it get to around 6-700 then shut it down twice a day, (keeps the chimney clean) gets a little noisy though...

I want to install a wood stove. How much smoke do y'all smell with it compared to say an open fireplace?

I have two stoves running this year.

First is our EPA cert non-cat. Its an older model, an Ovation 2600 by Country Flame. I have it running good for now, but if I see another one at a garage sale for $10 I'll probably pass. It requires the pumice type firebrick, runs hot enough that the regular clay bricks last about a week. Also, the groove in the door for the gasket is enormous, I end up having to replace the gasket about every six weeks. Also it requires a type II hearth pad at 1.5R, I had to build the hearth up from scratch.

Its a fine stove otherwise, the medium sized firebox (2.1cf, maybe 2.4cf) is about right for a 1200sqft home as primary heat source if centrally located. But as a non-cat it needs to run WFO, or not run at all. Pic is from the very first burn, the hearth I built hasn't been this clean since. I have run 4.x cords through it so far this year and have less than 30 gallons of ashes in a metal can for fertilizing this year's tomatoes.
quitehot.JPG

I have also been fooling with rocket stoves in the backyard, aka "SBR" or single burn rate stoves in the new EPA regs. This is the outlet stack of a 'pocket rocket', basically a five gallon metal bucket with a foot of 6" SWSP as a feed tube and 4 feet of 4" SWSP as a stack. These (obviously) burn very clean, but keeping the heat in the house instead of sending up the stack is a fertile field of inquiry. The thing sounds like a jet engine when it is running....
hotstack.JPG

This one my grandpa bought used in 1946 when he and his wife moved back to Kansas after he was done building liberty ships in LA during WWII.

It says "Saint Louis, MO" on it somewhere for sure, and I don't remember for sure what all else. The window seems to be thin sheets of Mica, the mineral. I have run both coal and wood in it. In this install the hole in the wall behind it ended up connecting to the cold air intake of the gas furnace in that house so I could run the stove and the blower and have warm air everywhere without running the furnace.

It is not for sale, it's staying in my shop, but I am curious how high an insured value I should put on it.
grandpa.JPG

Only pic I have of it, works great. Love you need a tool to open anything on it.

Attachments

• 20140302_173525.jpg
    20140302_173525.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back