Woodstove surround question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofurkey

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some pointers on tiling the wall to make a surround behind my woodstove. I've got a Napoleon 1900. I tiled the area under the stove with with cement board, steel fire barrier, and 12x12 ceramic tile last year. The stove has clearance on the back and sides to conform with combustable materials code. I'd like to move it back closer to the walls and continue the tile work up about 4'. The walls that would be tiled are plaster over brick. Can tile be put directly on the painted wall? Do I still need to install a fire barrier since there are no combustable materials in the wall? Is there some type of mesh that needs to be attached to the wall before tiling to make a more secure bond between the tile/mastic/paint over plaster wall? I asked at the local hardware store, but they weren't much help. Can anyone share their expertise?

Durock makes cement backer board that is thinner than the standard 1/2" board that is normally put on floors just for this purpose. I used the thin version and it worked great when I tiled my walls. They also sell generic sheet metal that you hand/bolt on the back of the stove that hangs about 2 inches off of the stove. This allows you to move the stove closer to the walls.

Latest posts

Back