Woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrh7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Allnighter wood stove that I have had for around 25 years. It is still like new and works great. They must be well built.
My buddy is telling me it is a wood hog though. New ones are much better he says and use less wood. Well I'm sure he is right but I love this stove. My house is 1500 square feet and I live in Northern Indiana. It has been know to have some nasty cold winters. I did put in a heat pump 2 years ago that I turn on when it is mildley cold out. Up until then the wood stove was all I used to heat the house. I burn around a cord of wood in a season. That don't sound bad to me.
If I did get a new stove what are the good dependable ones out on the market? I've read a lot but don't really have a clue. This All Nighter has a big door for big pieces and is built like a tank.

+1, something is not right, 1 cord wouldn't heat my baby barn.

+2 If you filled an average stove up twice per day, which would be incredibly efficient wood use in a cold climate, and used the stove every day for 150 days, the least amount of wood you would burn would be 2 1/2 full cord.

Maybe he keeps his house at 40 degrees?

1 cord is not breaking the bank. Keep doing your thang.

Keep the All-Nighter

You'll spend a lot of money and gain very little. I heated a small cottage exclusively with wood using a Mid Moe for 10 years.

All-Nighters were extremely well built. The only thing you may want to do is replace any broken or damaged firebricks, sand the exterior and give it a coat of paint. If you go to new stove I doubt you'll save enough wood to ever get a payback. If however you want a glass door or other aesthetics then by all means get a new stove. Depending on condition if you decide to sell the All-Nighter it should bring at least $250.

Take Care

What temperature do you keep your house? I don't see how you can heat a house with 1 cord of wood as your only source of heat.

Keep The Stove You Have

I think you should keep the stove you have. Some of the above posters think your estimate of wood burning is too low. But even if you use twice as much it'll take a long time to recover the cost of a new stove by lowering the amount of wood your new stove burns.

Nosmo

Back