WOOHOO OT pay!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Industry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry if this is fragmented a little, just got back home from storm work. I was out with the line crews removing trees from lines. Statewide we had 117,000 people out of power, 54,000 in the district I was working in. I went in at 6:00am on Thurs. and started the 17on/7off rotation. I will get some pics up tomorrow, but I gotta get some sleep now. I even made the news(for like 10 sec.):givebeer: we had everyone back on in our district by sat. night. I love storm.:D

Some phone pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry about the quality, but they are from my phone camera.

Yoikes!! Cool pics.

I live in a hurricane zone, and we never give the line crews enough thanks for going out to work in nasty dangerous conditions so we can have our lekky light back on!
Well done:clap:

Sweet-what caused the damage? Wind, ice? Doesn't look like too much snow. Always loved storm work-brings back some good memories. Jumping a 28" box elder lead over 2 phase primary and watching the lineman's jaw drop when i finished a job in 20 minutes that he said would take 4 hours. Cutting a big willow on the lines in a river and so many forces at work on the tree that i actually got three saws pinched (water forcing it one way, tension of the lines forcing it another, and gravity the third.) Working in rain and in snow so hard that you couldn't see the ground from in the tree. Trying to climb spruce at 11 pm and unable to see a thing. Dropping broken loblolly tops from 100+ feet up. Walking miles of offroad lines with my gear on my back looking for stuff on the lines. Hot bird-dogs!! Boy, were those some fun times. Storm work is what seperates the men from the boys!

Glad to hear it. I was released Saturday night. Needed it too. I got more ROW's than roadside. UGH! One fairly affluent town runs theirs thru marshes and a bird sanctuary. So you can't maintenance trim but when there's a blow: F*&$ the birds. Screw the trees. GET OUR POWER BACK ON! You'd think that after a couple of years of this, they'd get the point, and put their lines out by the road, but NOOOOOOO.... :bang: It looks "tacky".

Don't get me wrong, I like the OT. Good possibility that there may be some this week, too. But, gawd, i can only "do" stupid for so long! Geeze! And the longer we stay out, the stupider they seem to get.

Nice pics. I thought you were supposed to be workin? :yoyo: :yoyo: lol

--Later

Glad to hear it. I was released Saturday night. Needed it too. I got more ROW's than roadside. UGH! One fairly affluent town runs theirs thru marshes and a bird sanctuary. So you can't maintenance trim but when there's a blow: F*&$ the birds. Screw the trees. GET OUR POWER BACK ON! You'd think that after a couple of years of this, they'd get the point, and put their lines out by the road, but NOOOOOOO.... :bang: It looks "tacky".

Don't get me wrong, I like the OT. Good possibility that there may be some this week, too. But, gawd, i can only "do" stupid for so long! Geeze! And the longer we stay out, the stupider they seem to get.

Nice pics. I thought you were supposed to be workin? :yoyo: :yoyo: lol

--Later

Great post that somes it up well. All the do-gooding tree hugging freaks are always whining about us utility guys, but when the powers out, whole different story. they scream="GET THE POWER ON NOW I DON"T CARE ABOUT THE STUPID TREES!!!!" Stay safe out there, get sleep when you can, eat good.

--Later

thats when you go thru and start cutting ???? down is when the power is off.

Won't let you trim when its on but when its out they could give care less.

what is OT

how do

i got a laugh out of reading this thread. i started doing line work in 1967 when i was young. i have done a lil tree trimming durning my carrer but after 40 years of line work and cutting trees, OT is okay...just a lil bit will due because i will be 60 in july and OT now means OLD and TIRED.

i mostly cut trees now and just love doing it. when it is dark and cold and consumers have been in the dark for 30 hours, they do not give a fat irish rats A%^ how the trees get cut and nothing is said about clean up.

more power to you younger guys makeing the frogskins and putting in the long and hard hours...you damn sure earn your money.

bestest ree guards

talcott

That's all the groundmen have to do on storm, take pics.:biggrinbounce2: What district did you work?

:camera: I tried to get some pics of our climber in the bird sanctuary, Friday, but the light was at a bad angle. Thursday we were too busy, and Saturday, we were mostly on standby. :smoking:

I was in Portland. They only kept two trucks here. Everyone else went south.

:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:
Someone's getting a new Husky 575 with a 24 inch bar, tomorrow! (Could have gotten a 3 footer, but my foreman said no. Maybe, I'll take it and stash it, just in case.) Truck got robbed last October, and the super's been REEEALY slooooow about getting replacements. Told him that it would be a shame to be out on storm and have to tell the utility that we couldn't take a tree because we don't have a big 'nuff saw. :biggrinbounce2: Now i gotta find something to try it on! Maybe Thursday!

when i worked for asplundh i used to like storm work had to work alot of hrs but the check always looked good come the next week . just cut the branches /trees off the lines. no chipping . got to meet alot of cool bird dogs and people.

Latest posts

Back