woos stove for a new house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnses

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hi folks:

Building a new house this spring and want some recommendations about a new wood stove. This is a new house post house fire in june.....Have been a wood burner for years we had been running a scandia 118 knock off for years. Want to here about modern cat stoves and non cat sstoves. Was just gonna go with the modern youtul 118 air injection stove but realizing there are other options...house is 2000.00 sq ft. and is gonna be tight cause new const. so fresh air supply for stove. This will not be out primary heat but supplement.

thanks
sap can

hi folks:

Building a new house this spring and want some recommendations about a new wood stove. This is a new house post house fire in june.....Have been a wood burner for years we had been running a scandia 118 knock off for years. Want to here about modern cat stoves and non cat sstoves. Was just gonna go with the modern youtul 118 air injection stove but realizing there are other options...house is 2000.00 sq ft. and is gonna be tight cause new const. so fresh air supply for stove. This will not be out primary heat but supplement.

thanks
sap can

think this edit worked!?

From my experience, no matter how "tight" you think the new construction is going to be, there will likely be plenty of infiltration for wood stove combustion. I think a lot of people that think their house is too tight probably have chimney problems leading to low draft conditions.
We heat over 3000 square feet with a wood furnace in the basement (not ducted in but could be) and we have a wood stove in the upstairs. We have a masonry chimney with two flues but no fireplace. It was constructed specifically for wood heat.
The upstairs stove has a cat and it is very efficient on wood and never clogs the chimney. The basement furnace is effective, convenient and pretty dirty burning if the fire is less than hot and the wood isn't very dry. The controls on the furnace are completely manual other than the fan which cycles on and off. I don't have any brand suggestions but the higher efficiency burners are probably the way to go.

If it were me Wanting a single centrally located wood stove to heat a large area I would get a blaze king

I was asked via pm about our set up so I'll post a few pics here to to try and better visualize it. This first pic is of the stairs going to the basement. We leave it open in the heating season with the door folded back against the fridge. You can walk a circle from the livingroom, dining area, kitchen and back to where I'm standing when taking the pic. Heat from the basement furnace comes up this stairway. (plus it warms the floors). You can see the wood burner in the livingroom to the right side of pic.

upload_2015-2-21_7-35-38.jpeg

This pic is of the basement furnace. It is vented into the masonry chimney. You can see the ducting pipe sticking about 18" out the top. Hot air is blown up from there and just goes into the basement where convection takes it upstairs. The silver door on the rocks is the cleanout for this flue and there is one on the other side for the upstairs flue. (the chimney is probably about 35' total)

upload_2015-2-21_7-39-20.jpeg

upload_2015-2-21_7-49-57.jpeg This is the upstairs wood burner. We don't usually have a fire in this unless it's really cold out, we just feel like it, or the downstairs furnace isn't being used at the time. This morning, we have fires in both. It's been a tad "chilly" these last few days, eh?

View attachment 405769 This is the upstairs wood burner. We don't usually have a fire in this unless it's really cold out, we just feel like it, or the downstairs furnace isn't being used at the time. This morning, we have fires in both. It's been a tad "chilly" these last few days, eh?

That giant wrench mantle is a hoot!

Chilly ain't the word for it last few days. Actual bonafide cold. We have a layer of white dirt now, first of the winter.

Since you're building new, look into a masonry heater (also called "Finnish Stoves" or "Russian Fireplaces"). They're extremely heavy so retrofitting them into an existing house is usually not done.

Back