Work Pics from Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

this job has a bit of everything, cottonwood, red, white, black, and burr oak, sweetgum, softmaple, poplar, walnut, hardmaple, hackberry, hickory. got about 100 trees left to cut and then off to the next job...got a lot of work when it gets dry enough

Nice pic's are those 23.1 on that 440 good little skidder they work well must be nice to be able to work again.:hmm3grin2orange:

yup them are 23.1's on that skidder... brand new..it is a 440D non-turbo(wish it was), manual shift...all around a pretty good machine. ive got some pretty big ones to cut here in the next day or so, try to get a pick of them

yup them are 23.1's on that skidder... brand new..it is a 440D non-turbo(wish it was), manual shift...all around a pretty good machine. ive got some pretty big ones to cut here in the next day or so, try to get a pick of them

Pretty nice looking wood what does the poplar and soft maple pay down there.Is that your John deere she nice looking how many tree's does it take in a hitch.Hop you got some pic's of those big ones.:laugh: :laugh:

Pretty nice looking wood what does the poplar and soft maple pay down there.Is that your John deere she nice looking how many tree's does it take in a hitch.Hop you got some pic's of those big ones.:laugh: :laugh:

if u get a good poplar that makes grade u can get roughly around 60 cents/bft, if i remember properly....the soft maple gets graded sometimes but here recently it has about been more headache then it is worth...so it goes for blocking 27-32 cents/bft.. no that skidder isn't mine.. im gonna wait another year or so before i get my own. if the ground is solid the machine will pull 2 average size trees.. but with the ground being as muddy as it was where we were pulling from we could only pull 1 at a time and had to buck up the bigger ones to pull them. the first 2 pics of the bob cat are 20' logs that came out of the same tree.. that one tree made 3 20's of the trunk and 1 24' out of a limb log..prolly roughly 1500 bft in that one tree(cottonwood). the bigger trees i will prolly be starting on tom. after we have to make a bridge to get across a ditch/creek.. they are alot of 3-4 ft. soft maples over there, roughly 60-70

What is cottonwood used for?? Is it worth anything to speak of?

if u get a good poplar that makes grade u can get roughly around 60 cents/bft, if i remember properly....the soft maple gets graded sometimes but here recently it has about been more headache then it is worth...so it goes for blocking 27-32 cents/bft.. no that skidder isn't mine.. im gonna wait another year or so before i get my own. if the ground is solid the machine will pull 2 average size trees.. but with the ground being as muddy as it was where we were pulling from we could only pull 1 at a time and had to buck up the bigger ones to pull them. the first 2 pics of the bob cat are 20' logs that came out of the same tree.. that one tree made 3 20's of the trunk and 1 24' out of a limb log..prolly roughly 1500 bft in that one tree(cottonwood). the bigger trees i will prolly be starting on tom. after we have to make a bridge to get across a ditch/creek.. they are alot of 3-4 ft. soft maples over there, roughly 60-70
Might be a good idea to wait a year or so before getting your own skidder the way log prices are now a days.I found when i use to fall for my old boss if i found any timber of my own.It was better to pay him to skidd it i made more money that way then i do now with my own skidder.Lot less headaches that too but that's just my opion.Are guys just fowarding with truck in the pic or do you hall to the mill with it.

What is cottonwood used for?? Is it worth anything to speak of?

no cottonwood really isn't good for much. low grade, nothing special i wish they were, cuz they grow straight and tall with little taper.

as for loading the truck this is 1 of 2 that is hauling logs off that job, that one and a knuckleboom truck..they are hauling them to the mill from the job(around 8 miles) we are loading that truck with the bob cat. we don't use forwarders around here. we drag the logs to the landing, buck them, and load them on the road truck and take them to the mill or wherever they go

Great pictures. Man, I have landing envy. Mine is in the woods and I'm trying to keep it small to keep from beating up all the trees for the next harvest.

no cottonwood really isn't good for much. low grade, nothing special i wish they were, cuz they grow straight and tall with little taper.

as for loading the truck this is 1 of 2 that is hauling logs off that job, that one and a knuckleboom truck..they are hauling them to the mill from the job(around 8 miles) we are loading that truck with the bob cat. we don't use forwarders around here. we drag the logs to the landing, buck them, and load them on the road truck and take them to the mill or wherever they go

How many feet you get on knuckleboom truck there.Around here we get 8-10 thousand feet on but the mill never close anywhere for 50mi to 300mi away.

nice

Nice pics silloger, nice skidder too!:hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: ;) :laugh:

How many feet you get on knuckleboom truck there.Around here we get 8-10 thousand feet on but the mill never close anywhere for 50mi to 300mi away.

you get 8-10 thousand bft on a knuckleboom?!?!?!?! around here we get around 1500-2500 bft on one. but it is set up like a tandem

a few pics from this morning

here's a few pics that i took before i bounded off into the woods to start cutting this mornin'
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

no i haven't got into the biggest ones yet. ive cut a few of them but i should prolly be getting to them either tom. or monday

Back