Work positioning around the trunk of a large tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Say I have an SRT set up in a branch on one side of a large tree. I want to ascend to a point, then come down and take all the low branches and shoots off. What's the best way to traverse around the circumference, assuming no spikes?

Choke the tree with your lanyard. That will help you from spinning around the tree and keep you nice and sturdy while cutting.

Say I have an SRT set up in a branch on one side of a large tree. I want to ascend to a point, then come down and take all the low branches and shoots off. What's the best way to traverse around the circumference, assuming no spikes?

Hey Plasmech -

Check out Jerry Beranek's "DLRW 2" video (link below) - at 3:40 he show's you exactly how to do what TDunk suggest. Try it, works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdV8Nr4tEpo&feature=related

Good luck,
Jack

That video and the first DLRW video are two of the best for basic rope climbing. I use the same basic system and it works great. I will say that when using the lanyard to choke the tree, it works better with a prusik than a cammed ascender (like J.B. has in the video). Main reason is with the cammed ascender you have to take the weight off the lanyard to release, with the prusik you don't.

If you are using a long enough pole belt you can acheive the same locking off by wrapping it 1 1/2 times around the trunk without having to undo the rope grab end.

I dig the rig...

in Ddrt, one uses a friction saver at the tie in point. does anyone use a block at the TIP?

I dig the rig...

in Ddrt, one uses a friction saver at the tie in point. does anyone use a block at the TIP?

Rarely. I've gotten fairly good (lucky) at isolating a branch for a friction saver. However, if isolating a branch is too much trouble and I have a good sound branch that can take twice the load, I'll rig a CMI 3" stainless on a line that runs over several branches and, if possible, anchored in a nearby tree.

Rarely. I've gotten fairly good (lucky) at isolating a branch for a friction saver. However, if isolating a branch is too much trouble and I have a good sound branch that can take twice the load, I'll rig a CMI 3" stainless on a line that runs over several branches and, if possible, anchored in a nearby tree.

Thanks, was just wondering...I have not climbed a doubled rope, all I have ever been taught is single rope, and had to figure out getting the rope back myself <GRIN> So, while I can see how it works, just don't have much experience...watching that video though has got me interested, I'm digging the 2:1 advatage possible there, puls not having to inchworm..not that I mind, but I am of a very slight build, and run out of energy quick..sucks in a tree...

I get what you are saying about several branches and even another tree if possible...I am quite paraoind about where that rope goes and how much of me it's holding...:taped:

Thanks! Sorry for the hijack.

Latest posts

Back