workbench set up for chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The subject of chain sharpening has been elaborated in detail in many threads before, and I personally have learned a lot from it.

It must be that my sharpening skills (handfiling only)have improved since several neighbours, friends come to ask me now to sharpen their saw chains. As long as their on the saws, I have no problem with them, since I put the bar in a vice and it's quite easy to do it.

The problem starts with the loose ones. I put them now on a spare 20" Stihl bar (1,6 mm groove), but as you can imagine, it's not possible to tension the chain properly, and smaller width drivers' chains are a little wobbly on the bar. Also the shorter chains are a problem, since I can only fit them partly on the bar.

I remember seeing some pics on AS in the past (Gypo maybe ?) of suitable set up's for this kinda work, but could'nt find them. Any info/pics or links are appreciated.
thanks
Roland

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
belgian said:
.... friends come to ask me now to sharpen their saw chains. As long as their on the saws, I have no problem with them, since I put the bar in a vice and it's quite easy to do it.

The problem starts with the loose ones. ....
I recognize that situation, but I simply don't do it unless the chains come with a suitable bar and powerhead.

I believe that Mange/Magnus once described a suitable way to charpen loose chain..... :)

Mange

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't have tension on the chain.

The vise is a bit under chest hight and on a board out from a shelf. I have the face 3-4 dm from the chain wile filing and two fingers to supoort the tooth.
As I have had a bunch of practice and use good files I need only power to control not push down or back.
I set the angle of the bar tip up so when the file works (not me) it can work down and back on the tooth.
I have one bar for each type of chain.

I guess you will want pic's of this.....

Hmmmm

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Crofter said:
Belgian: This thread, post #9 some pics of my chain clamp.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=18372

Thanks Frank,
very good info. I also like the ability to tilt the whole set up to the angle you want. What I don't get is that you can file the tooth without tightening the chain properly :confused: I would imagine the filing force make the chain go travel. How do you keep that chain in place ?
roland

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use a old handsaw sharpening vise. If you do not have one, go to the hardware store and buy a large heavy hinge 8" long put that in your vise with the chain in between the folded flat sides. Tighten it down to your desire.

Latest posts