Workbench top finish?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, not about trees or cutting...but about wood none the less and thought this would be the correct place for it. I built a garage a couple years ago and I came across a nice oak top. Friend had some logs milled and laminated at one time and never did anything with them. I bought one. Its 8ft long, and 2" thick...I paid $100 for it...no idea what its worth but thats not my question.

Should I put a finish on this thing? I had planned to, but then never did. There were a couple knot holes in it and I filled those and sanded the whole top down and thats the way its sat for about a year and a half. Of course now it has stains, scratches, dirt, and character. My question is should I just leave it unfinished now, or is that bad? This isnt a specific wood working bench or anything, just your average homeowner bench for tinkering, fixing, and building. I know the opinions differ on this...from polyurethane to boiled linseed oil, tung oil, and wax. So what are some first hand experiences?

Ok, not about trees or cutting...but about wood none the less and thought this would be the correct place for it. I built a garage a couple years ago and I came across a nice oak top. Friend had some logs milled and laminated at one time and never did anything with them. I bought one. Its 8ft long, and 2" thick...I paid $100 for it...no idea what its worth but thats not my question.

Should I put a finish on this thing? I had planned to, but then never did. There were a couple knot holes in it and I filled those and sanded the whole top down and thats the way its sat for about a year and a half. Of course now it has stains, scratches, dirt, and character. My question is should I just leave it unfinished now, or is that bad? This isnt a specific wood working bench or anything, just your average homeowner bench for tinkering, fixing, and building. I know the opinions differ on this...from polyurethane to boiled linseed oil, tung oil, and wax. So what are some first hand experiences?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never had anything that good to work on but I do prefer a work bench with character. So if it were mine I'd leave it and if it acquired too much character after a few years I may clean it a bit with the belt sander.

In recent years I discovered a rubberized product called shelf liner. I've found that a piece of it temporarily placed on the bench comes in handy especially when picking up small screws and nails etc.

Avoid used motor oil spills at all cost. It'll give more character in seconds than you would like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never had anything that good to work on but I do prefer a work bench with character. So if it were mine I'd leave it and if it acquired too much character after a few years I may clean it a bit with the belt sander.

In recent years I discovered a rubberized product called shelf liner. I've found that a piece of it temporarily placed on the bench comes in handy especially when picking up small screws and nails etc.

Avoid used motor oil spills at all cost. It'll give more character in seconds than you would like.

I agree. If the bench is already soiled, leave it be. If new I'd apply a sealer;
but nothing that has a high build.

Are you looking for functional or aesthetic?

I would seal it with polyurethane, and cover it with a replaceable wear surface, like a 1/4" sheet of hardboard ('Masonite').

Philbert

dont poly it. maybe a clear water repellent like thompsons or similiar . but if you plan to have any gas or cleaner products on it ,a poly seal will disolve giving you a big mess.

Are you looking for functional or aesthetic?

I would seal it with polyurethane, and cover it with a replaceable wear surface, like a 1/4" sheet of hardboard ('Masonite').

Philbert

Functional. I don't think I want a hard coat like poly...and I want to use the bench as is. With the oak top. I want something that might minimize stains with spills and something you can touch up if it gets gouged. But I know nothing about oil finishes Luke I mentioned in the OP.

Functional. . . I want something that might minimize stains with spills and something you can touch up if it gets gouged.

As noted, depending upon what things you do on the bench, different finishes will get damaged: polyurethane, oil based varnish, tung/linseed/danish oils, shellac, etc., each are resistant to some stuff and susceptible to others.

Th pretty European workbenches stay pretty because they are not used for finishing, greasy engine work, etc. For those applications, ugly but durable surfaces (sheet metal, laminate (Formica), hardboard, etc.) hold up and clean up better.

Philbert

You could also do like I did when I built my nice oak work bench.
I put a piece of Plexiglas (acrylic) over it and just left it like that. That way the oak showed through and the mess was harmless to the top.(oil, paint, etc)
Of course I never do the real messy work on it, just normal assembly or household and art work.
If you needed a tougher work surface for heavy work (automotive rebuilding etc) you could always drop a metal plate on it for the job and then take it off when you done as well.
Good Luck.

I do a lot of floor sanding, coating and treatment of timber as a business.

give it a light sand to clean it up if you want to, otherwise just leave it as it is. either way, get some oil onto it. Go for whatever tickles your nose, linseed, tung, whatever smells good to you. Most of the commercial products are just a mix of these 2 plus some turps, there are lots of good recipes on the net for your own oil, google up oak + oil home made recipe etc.

The oil won't provide a barrier (as poly would) from things getting into the oak, but it will prolong the life of the oak and prevent drying and cracking. Good news is it wont show scratches (as any poly or other varnish type products do) and will be a good 'user' surface. Doesnt need sanding later in life (as poly does) when recoating, just recoat as often as you like. if the surface feels dry to the touch, apply some oil to a rag and wipe it over. done in 30 seconds. repeat year after year, as often as you like.

Enjoy that bench, it doesnt need to be pretty.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back