Workers Comp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Me & my wife are our only employees
We carry Health insurance and dissability
on ourselves. Our Insurance covers us on and off the job. :blob2:

John? Didnt you get a quote on W/C for yourself? If i remember it was pretty pricy.:(

25% of gross income. Thank you, no.

If I were to get it to cover subs my broker could only get me in the state pool. that was too much too for the little I do.

Just checked my renewal and my Workmens comp went up to 25.45 from 20.37, yeah:angry: :angry: :angry:

How much? I've heard Florida is pretty high too. But a jump like that in one year is a little much, agent said they're trying to make up for losses last year? Sounds like BS to me.

Our state run program is among the best in the country, and far cheaper and better than private workman's comp. They watchdog the industry pretty well, question dubious claims, even give refunds if there is a surplus in the general fund at year's end. All this adds up to a base rate of about 1.85 per manhour for tree work, and .88 per hr for landscaping, i.e. pruning under 12 feet. Based on claims history, experience factor can range from .7 to 1.3 x the base rate. About 25% of this can be taken out of the employee's wages. This works out to about 7-12% of what I pay my help, which is about $14 per hr for unskilled occasional labor, 20-25 per hr for a good gman/occasional pruner-climber and 25-34 for my climber. I typically pay based on percentages of the job, so there are incentives to do fast and good work, as any damage costs are shared by the responsible person. Incomplete work would need to be done for no extra pay. Both are extremely rare occurrences as I am on most jobs, and we are rather skilled and careful.

Roger

Sorry I have 3 employees right now, so I'm required to have it and shouldn't have posted to this thread:blush:
Just was on my mind cause I looked at the bill right before I read this:rolleyes:
Here you have to have workmens if you have 3 or more including yourself.

I think different states have different programs. Here we pay about 32 cents for each dollar of payroll.
When I got hurt once WC paid me 100% of my wage, and it was all totally tax free! It made me want to get hurt again!
RB's post got me wondering, if they take out by the hours worked, how they pay back.

In Wa., the pay for time loss is based on the last two completed quarter's pay. It goes up depending on the claimant's dependants, I believe, and starts at about 60% of gross pay, I think.

L&I rate used to be about 6.75 per hr, then they lumped us in with road building (for some unknown reason) and dropped the rate to ~1.80 per hr. You don't see me complaining!!! Logging rate is around 7.50. Of course I don't tell them I do small scale logging!!!

Back