Working for friends and Family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLMAN83

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am stuck in between a rock and hard place it seems like. I have done work for friends and family before but quick stuff. Prune here and there. Drop a tree and they take care of it once its on the ground etc. Today I went to look at a job at a family members house. The job consists of removing almost all trees in her front yard. This includes 3 white pines all 100' give or take. 15-20 red oaks small saw timber size and some white and black birch. The pines need to be climbed, as do some of the oaks. I would say about half the job is climbing and the rest can be dropped with out any problems. She is more than willing to pay me but has no idea how much tree work cost. How do you deal with doing good size jobs for family? Full prize, give them a break, free? I have not been stuck in the situation before. Thanks for any advice in advance.

You might have her get several estimates which would open eyes as to what the costs actually are, and then give huge discount and at least cover your costs? I took down and removed a $500 tree for $200 once for step daughters husbands uncle. Question is, where do we draw the line on FAMILY? In certain parts of the country, that pretty much includes EVERYBODY...

To tell the truth, I hate working for family and friends. I always feel obligated to give a bottom dollar price and sometimes they still feel that they are being charged too much half the time. I do my immediate families trees for free if they help. If I have to use my hired help they pay their wage but my labor is free. If there are any other expenses they pay them.

Other family and friends usually get a discount. I don't do the work for free but they get a steeply discounted price.

When we had an ice storm hit I was too busy to work for free or at a discount. I let one of my contract climbers do the work at my mom and dad's place and just let them pay him what I was paying him. Not cheap but not emergency prices either.

I also have to do a couple of trees for the guy who runs my deer hunting lease. I gave him the hunting buddy price on the first go 'round and it worked out fine. Then, this year he wanted me to drop two more trees. Both are large trees and one will have to be climbed and pieced out. I told him $200 a tree to completely remove them. That's haul away and all. He acted like he had been gut shot when I told him the price. Said he would just do it himself. I would have liked to have told him to kiss my ass but he is the gate keeper where me and my dad hunt.

I asked him what he thought a fair price would be? I told him I would have to pay out a couple of hundred in labor, gas to haul the wood and dump fees as it is a long distance from me and I will have to pay to dump. These are not small trees! He said he thought that just me and him would work together and "winch the trees over". I told him that might be possible on one of the trees but the other one would have to be climbed and lowered. Too much liability to try to drop it that close to his house (very possible that it will hit another tree and roll towards the house).

I ended up telling the guy that we would work together, I would leave all the wood and do it for $200. I can use my dad to run my ropes which will cost me nothing. It still irks me though. This guy knows that I have to keep him happy to retain my hunting privileges right next to my house and he took advantage. I'd really like to tell him to go fly a kite!

Have her get estimates and make sure she doesnt tell them the deal. Would be fare if she paid for the estimates since she knows she isn't going to hire them. If she tells them the deal and they know they dont have a chance at the job who knows what the prices will be. If I knew I was being used for an estimate only not sure what kind of figures I'd give out. Just saying I dont have time to go out and give prices for the heck of it. When she sees how much it normaly costs you will look good.

So this is my first cousin, we grew up together and stay in touch and all that family stuff. I refered her to a company who I know is reputable and and is fairly priced. All the wood and brush on this job are staying, except for the stuff I take for my own use. She paid me for my time today which I didnt want her to do since I advertise free estimates. This would be the first big job that I do for a family member or friend I usually do it free with them helping and everything stays and they take care of it so there is not really any additional expense except for my time and fuel. I hate doing anything for people I know because I feel like they know I am a softee when it comes to helping people out. Thanks for the input so far.

Its an awkward and difficult position with anyone related , but friends the hell with that , I tell them what it costs me and I take the hit my labor is free when I'm slow but family is positively the worst my brother still owes me 400 from when I was 20 and cleared his backyard , I am charging 1% a month till he pays so I figure if he gives me that when I sixty it'll be a nice chunk of change , so ya know I got that working for me , lol

Working for family sucks.

Its' "damned if you do ,damned if you don't"

I usually tell them I'm too busy to get to anything.

Small jobs are best to just let them know your direct cost for the job and tell them they owe you a cookout or something.

Of course if it's an inlaw that you don't particularly like ,then take them to the cleaners ,and hopefully they won't talk to you anymore afterwards.
You win both ways.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

hahaha I do a lot of work for inlaws just because I like taking care of their 25 acres more than they do, I think. Even though it is family, first cousin and we grew up together and I am pretty condident she would trust my price as a good one. I would still feel more comfortable if she got at least one quote before I gave her a price just so she would not be sticker shocked. I am going to give her more than a fair deal but I just want her to know how much it would cost if she did not know a qualified arborist that could do the job. Again, thanks for the input.

I quote a fair price. If they like it, I do a good job.

It would be the worst of relatives or friends that would ask you for a $1000 gift, so there is no reason to consider giving that much work away. More or less dollars off is beside the point: they are asking you for money.

They should be more than happy to pay the full price, knowing that you will do an extra careful job for a relative paying a fair price, and be content with knowing that they are at least keeping the profits in the family.

Someday, if I feel like discounting a relative, I will tell them how many dollars off the regular price I am willing to sacrifice. So far, that hasn't happened.

OK, so we came to an agreement. I guess I underestimated how they perceived the work. She told me what she could afford and it was about right for the job. She is close family so a little less is fine with me. So that was a relief. Thanks again for all the input and advice. Really good people on this site!!!

Stihlman I liked your approach. Once your family have an idea what a job SHOULD cost then you can work out together what you will charge for the work. It sounds like you have it covered. Enjoy the climbing!

immediate family - free

two times for good friends - lop off one branch, easy felling - they agreed to take me out for a meal. I figure I got my moneys worth on those, plus they always send me referrals.

Back