working too cheap???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This past winter I had asked for references from a few of my customers, because I was bidding on a large removal job and the lady wanted a few letters of reference.

1 came from a friend, and he said all good stuff; good work, safety, ethical, etc.

The other 3 all said the same thing, except they added the term cheap in some way or another.

I don't understand why they'd say that. Granted I've messed up a few times bidding jobs... but nothing for them really.

The one that stands out in my mind... at the time I'd done 3 or 4 jobs for him.

The first was a bunch of locust trees... me and 2 guys had them done in 10 hrs... chips stayed, wood went, clean-up stuff stayed in the woods. $1,500 for that.

I went back and ground a bunch of stumps for him... 3? hrs with a 252 Vermeer for $500

Another job was split between his house and one of his neighbors. 2 guys for 1 week, $7,000. No more than 10 man days. Wood went, chips went, stumps ground.

Cut down another locust tree for him, 3 guys for 1/2 a day... chips stayed, wood went, stump stayed. $750... right before Christmas too.

We did some clearing this spring over there... again split between him and a neighbor. Maybe 3 man days? everything went... $1,050.

One of the other referal customers... same thing.

Last year I did a bunch of pruning at her house... just put it on the ground, her husband did the rest. I think there was a removal in there too. Really though it was all of 2 man days for $700. Unfortunately the time was split between a few days due to poor weather conditions and what not. Took down 1 branch for a neighbor of hers... took me an hour - an hour and a half? for $100... the branch stayed in the woods.

The final referral customer.. I did a bunch of junk over there. pruning, dropping trees in the woods, just a bunch of crap work. I was getting $700 per day with minimal equipment, 1 other guy, and everything stayed. Did a bunch of gravel over there too... $150 per yard.

Am I really coming in THAT low???

The public at large generally have no idea what most in the tree industry do. The only factor that the majority can gauge your work by is price. Some will comment on promptness, returning phone calls, and lastly a good cleanup. As for the quality of work, the public has no idea. As long as nothing is broken and the job is done, most homeowners will be satisfied. Asking them to comment on the quality of pruning is grasping straws. I have gone back to estimate removals on trees that have been topped by other companies that have died, and the homeowner only called me because the other company folded up or would not return the call. The point is, the homeowner would have still called the topping company first even though they probably killed the tree by topping it. Best to ask for references from folks that really know the work you are doing, there are a few out there and hopefully you are working for them.

It could be the reason you got the job is because your quotes were lower than other bidding companies, and therefore the customer thinks your cheap(er).

Your prices aren't way low by any means. I have never had to give anyone references beyond word of mouth that they hear from other satisfied customers(or unsatisfied lol). I just tell them that I do exactly what I say for the price I say.

Downstate NY

Sounds a bit cheap to me for your area. I dont live there, but mu gf live sin yorktown heights. Her parents paid I think 3gs for some mexicans to come over, spike up a tree like 50 feet, remove a few large branches (no rigging of course) and leave huge stubs on a silver maple.
They also paid like 3gs a fence section for some PVC fencing to be installed. THis is an 8 by 8 section mind you.. So I htink your rates would be reasnoable if you were int he country, maybe even a bit steep, but uin downstate NY jack those prices up..Just a guesstimation on my part but I would try to get like 60-80 an hour per guy. I don tknow what kind opf equipment or help you heve, but it would certainly would pay for that.

Ask them to scratch CHEAP all together! Courteous, Promp, Reliable, attention to detail, and well insured are good selling points.

I know you know, but I just thought you should know!:clap:

Mike

I have no idea what your area is like...beside your profile says New York...

But what is your competition like???

Alot of other companies? Fly by night companies?

I think that can make a big factor int to it...what is your market running at...then i think you can figure if you are cheap or not....

Other companies are getting anywhere from about $35? per man hour - $125 per man hour. There are a lot of other companies in the area... many fly by nighters as well as legit companies.

Back