Working with 2' of snow on the ground and 4' to 6' drifts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lawn Shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has got to be a pain in the ass....I've got tree jobs stacking up.
have not seen any of my competion working because of the snow and not able to get access with their bucket trucks.
Not all of my competion use buckets but most do and the companys that have climbers are not doing work either....

hey hey hey. Marylander here. yeah there is a crap load of snow on the ground. hopefully the mess this snow has made will get people motivated for tree care in the spring.

I cant believe you are complaining about 2 inches of snow. ;)

He's saying 2 feet of snow. 4-6 foot drifts. It is tough doing tree work in snow that deep. Nearly impossible to do clean up and walkin through snow that deep draging branches wears you out in minutes. Not really worth it takes way to long to do a job plus if your having to work off the road then you have to work around plow ridges that can be 4-8 feet high.

Has got to be a pain in the ass....I've got tree jobs stacking up.
have not seen any of my competion working because of the snow and not able to get access with their bucket trucks.
Not all of my competion use buckets but most do and the companys that have climbers are not doing work either....

What's a competion? :monkey: :greenchainsaw:

Wait till it melts then you get to work in 6" of water and everything will be stuck in the mud. Last year i used a snowblower to clear pathes for men and machines to get to the trees. Take the work while you can!

weve been working in too. we take the skid steer and plow paths to and from the trees. the thing that stinks is that these jobs were bid without the extra time it takes with the snow on the ground. I have been having trouble finding parking since the streets arent plowed to the curb there is no room for big truck parking on side streets. Today we had to shut a street down that wasnt in the bid, flaggers, and a lot more traffic control. pita, but we made a lil scratch. more snow just started to come down now with already about 2 feet on the ground. be careful out there guys...tree work is much more dangerous with the snow on the ground...as if this work wasnt hard enough...snow makes it that much harder

we have been dropping as big of peices as possible and winch to the road to cut up and chip the snow makes an awesome drag mat.....yesterday we dropped a whole tree 50' maple and w/ 3 trucks and some pulleys drug the whole thing 50 yards into the road and processed it from there.

Get some snowshoes, been working up to my bag, (not talking throwbag here) in snow for 2 months now, awesome for the cardio.

I ve been working in this all year as well, I HATE IT! but love the work, so i will quite the complaint!(after my rant)
I had to pour hot water in my chipper yesterday because the disc was frozen, opened it up and there was this big ice block at the bottom? snow, melt, freeze, melt, snow, freeze, melt, ice etc! Was hoping the Ice storm was gonna bring cazillions, nope stayed at 32 degrees. Melted everything, then froze again! Takes me 2 long to get around with the 50 extra pounds of clothes! Hydraulics love the cold right! Snow makes everything heavy! Snow doesn't rake well!
But all put in perspective when I see the homeless dude.
I will put on all that stuff again today, maybe see if homeless dude needs a bite to eat. Im still working, he is not. And he is in the cold a lot longer each day than me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back