working with your hands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another gel glove...

Rancher, I have some Stihl anti-vibe Gel gloves and they make a huge difference especially with my weed trimmer. I used to feel my fingers tingle after using same. A neurologist friend warned me to get some gloves to dampen the vibrations from my power tools as they can cause nerve damage. Contact you Stihl dealer to get a pair:)

I recently bought a set of Carhart gel work gloves from Ace hardware. I alot of places carry carhart products and these gloves run about $19 to $25 depending on the location and model of glove.

Also not a doc, but I will throw out something to think about. I ride motorcycles. When racing a lot of guys will get arm pump. Forearms ball up like to burn like heck. Most of this comes from the vibrations combined with gripping the handlebars too tight. When you are cutting try to see if you are gripping the snot out of your equipment. If so, then make it a point to not over grip your handles. Might be totally unrelated, but I find my hands and forearms get arm pump especially the first lap or so of a race. Constant mental awareness and trying to relax and not over grip helps. Breathing helps in this case as well as being well hydrated. Try it, you won't be out anything but some concentration to not grip too hard.

all GREAT ideas and thoughts......

cramps are often water and potassium - bananas.

carpal tunnel is a real deal. one way to combat it is to change angles a bunch. instead of always holding the saw at the same height, move it around so your wrist angles change, and your fingers and hand positions change.

stretches work for me. stretch your fingers on your hands, move them.

ibuprofin takes out inflamation, which can help.

A couple of my uncle's say they have had this happen to them. Although I have never personally witnessed this phenomenon, there description sounds similar to yours. It may be called Kienbock's disease although I'm not sure I'm thinking of the right name.

'Ole Arthur is getting to my hands...was bad last winter, but has persisted this summer...The doc won't put me on any of the new prescription meds, side effects can be bad, and I'm diabetic to boot...Tylenol arthritis stuff is ok, but I would rather destroy my liver with alcohol than with drugs!

Back