Wormy apples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamone

Reaction score
We have and apple tree that produces super tasting apples but about half of them are wormy and the birds get to many before we start picking them. For the birds, I thought I'd get a fake owl to put in the vicinity to scare them off. What can I do about the worms?? The tree is in full bloom right now. Is there something that I can spray the tree with to eliminate the worms and not render the fruit uneatable?? In the past, I've just sprayed the tree with dishsoap/water mixture and I think it helped but not enough.
Thanks.
wamone :)

wamone, do ya want to go organic or do you mind using synthetic chemicals? right now i would treat the trees with a copper spray to prevent fireblight. the synthetic chemicals used for "worms" on apples are astro or imidan, mixed with a fungicide and treated every 14 days starting at flower petal fall. a new organic material is called "surround " and is made from a light clay that inhibits the "worms " from getting to the apple ,i think gardens alive sells it. i am going to try it this year on my apple trees. also insecticidal soap and hort. oil are good organic materials for you to use. JPM

Latest posts

Back