Worried about spruce tree. Dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpasquini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Of course you want to say that nothing is wrong, this is just something having to do with the season.... but its getting to the point where I may have to tell myself I'm in denial.
I've seen this happen about five years ago, possibly not this bad. I do not know what the cause was, or what resolved it. Is it drought stress? Because I don't think its been particularly dry.
Lately it has just started getting chilly in the Midwest, lows in the 30s but nothing drastic.
It seems urgent action is needed. But, the wrong remedy could be fatal, sometimes its best to leave things alone.

Anyone have any thoughts? This tree would be an utter disaster to die, both in cost of removal and homeowner value.
Not to mention, just plain tragic. :(

Attachments

• spruce1.jpg
    spruce1.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 16
  • spruce2.JPG
    spruce2.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 15
  • spruce3.JPG
    spruce3.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 17
I suspect either needle cast (a fungus) or spruce aphid (a bug), the symptoms are similar. Neither are short term fatal, but stress the tree which may lead, over time, to secondary problems.

You need to have a qualified Plant Health Care PHC arborist come and have a look at it. Tough to tell without being up close and personal.

I have never noticed any oozing, sap, or holes but I'm checking tomorrow in light I'll get some more pics. Perhaps it looks a little like this (first link), and I believe this is a Norway Spruce (??)
Except that I have not noticed any purple leaves. Cytospora would seem a dreadful diagnosis as the remedy says to cut back all affected branches. Which is just not workable with something of this size, lol.
But given the two choices (second link), I would opt for the Needle Cast.
"To prevent stress on your Norway spruce, avoid overwatering it.". Well its a good thing I didn't suspect this as drought stress! At least, I think :/

https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/cytospora-canker/

https://sciencing.com/norway-spruce-diseases-treatments-5623504.html

OK some more pics of the browning Spruce tree.
There are some holes. But they are just in a few places, and now that I see them, I remember these, at least a few of them. Some are at least 3-4 years old. There is a small amount of sap but this is not all over the tree, you wouldn't notice unless you searched.

Attachments

• P1140001.JPG
    P1140001.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130999.JPG
    P1130999.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130998.JPG
    P1130998.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130997.JPG
    P1130997.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130996.JPG
    P1130996.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130993.JPG
    P1130993.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1130992.JPG
    P1130992.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1140002.JPG
    P1140002.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 7
The holes that are in horizontal bands look like sapsucker (bird) holes to me. Not sure about the single holes. Sapsucker holes can be an entry point for fungal attacks, but by themselves pose no harm to the tree. Around here, they are pretty common in the ornamental spruces.

Latest posts

Back