Worst chainsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a little homeowner Husky strato that I couldn't get functional with my limited knowledge. Passed it on to another member here who knew what they were doing and he was able to get it purring in short order. To me, it was an exercise in frustration, to him it was a couple little things to get a usable little runner. A lot of the outcome and experience with a tool is knowing the ins and outs of it.

I replaced it with an 034. No complaints.

I have a PP 4218 that was given to me that I think has a strato engine and runs good, once i adjusted the carb. I've heard the strato engines are finicky to tune?
They are still easy to tune but require a slightly different approach to get to the "sweet spot". Lots of good info on this forum, just do a search on "tuning a strato saw"

I have a PP 4218 that was given to me that I think has a strato engine and runs good, once i adjusted the carb. I've heard the strato engines are finicky to tune?
Read some of my previous reply’s. they can be made to work well, just no power and bad vibes

From what I have seen and read, the Husky 4XX series saws Perform and Hold Up Well, for what they are.

The husky 460 is my "Truck Saw" it is locked in the canopy of the pick up 24/7/365. Where we live, trees down in the road are an often enough occurrence, that I picked up the 460 used, for a decent price, for that reason, she ain't Purty, but she runs well, and there ain't No Way that I am keeping "Old Reliable" my 266XP in the truck full time, she IS still real Purty, even at almost 30 years old, kinda like Dancing with your High School Sweetheart, when I pick her up and put 'er to wood.

The 460 has reliable done her service without complaint, and the Wife's 445 (NE), doesn't have a lot of time on it, but it has served well so far, and performed better than I expected of a Home Owner class saw. I have been curious about Husky's 543XP, seems to be Husky's "Forgotten Saw", I never seem to see much mention of it Good or Bad, just "Forgotten". Curiosity got the better of me, and a 543XP w/16" B&C should show up at the house while I am working out of town again. I am wondering if the Wife won't "Adopt" the 543XP as "Her" next saw.

Any how, so far, the plastic clamshell saws have fared very well from my experiences.

Doug :cheers:
Agree with the 460 & 465 performance , a neighbour and my uncle love their 4x series sawsfor firewood units . As for the 543xp. , not much of a serious saw unless limbing hardwood or cutting cedar . I just sold my 543 last mth to a Buddy for his wife . The price point is set way to high for the performance of the saw . My 346 xp & 5105H are twice or 3 times more productive !

Poulan wild thing. I had 3 within a year. Walmart had a good exchange policy back then. They all just lost compression. I was trying to cut firewood with them for money while going through college. Probably used them for more than they were intended for in their defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poulan wild thing. I had 3 within a year. Walmart had a good exchange policy back then. They all just lost compression. I was trying to cut firewood with them for money while going through college. Probably used them for more than they were intended for in their defense

Did you attempt to properly tune the carbs on each one? They are usually set too lean from the factory and are never test run before being sold.

Did you attempt to properly tune the carbs on each one? They are usually set too lean from the factory and are never test run before being sold.
These saws are cheap and easy to fix, but after running my Husky 350 and Echo 590, boy do they feel slow. Lol
They are all I used to run before I got into fixing, selling, and upgrading.

Not at all. That was 14 years ago. I was 20 years old and needed some money. Went to town, bought a saw, maul, and went to work. After that year my dad gifted me a MS 270 to continue and I never looked back! I still have it. Now I just cut wood for my house and my parents house. And enjoy every minute of it.

Back