Worst things to burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volkswagen bug engine cases in a firepit. Only do it in a very remote area. When magnesium catches it is something to behold.

Oh, also don't attempt to throw water on it 'calm' the fire down as the exact opposite will happen (or so I'm told):biggrinbounce2:

I've smelled freon burning when repairing a leak on an A/C unit with an acetylene torch and brazing rod, nasty smelling stuff that takes your breath away and burns your nose. I couldn't imagine throwing a full freon can into an OWB.

It was about time...

... for the annual "what did you burn" thread!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

My neighbors must love me at times. In the last 10 years or so:

I have burned everything that would be considered "wrong" at one time or another. I know what you are thinking. I do not burn things like this all the time. Just once in awhile!

Paper, cardboard, OSB plywood, rags with carb cleaner on them. Rags with brakecleaner on them, strips of rubber, plastic soda bottles, cigarette butts (until I quit), oil filters, Shoes, etc.

-Pat

Normally the size of my bonfires is directly related to how drunk I am at the time. Most of the time I just burn brush, and I've had a big supply of hemlocks from when my neighbor had his property logger. Although every couple years the lawn gets cluttered till I get sick of dodgin stuff with the mower and have a nice burn off.

Did you know that non-dairy creamer is flammable? Only when airborne though. My brother was holding a match and a guy threw some NDC at him and it did a number on his eyebrows.

Next campfire, toss in an empty Guiness can. (Has to be a can).

To get the stout to foam the way it does, there's a little cartridge in there. It'll make a little jet-o-flame.

BTW, don't examine the can's mouth up close if you're drinking with your brother. Especially if he's fixin to squish the can with a stick. That little jet o flame will come out in a torrent.

roadkill

somone mentioned burning roadkill in thier owb.

i havent seen that but i did watch a trapper use his wood stove for a cremation device when he was skinnin muskrats. you want a good bed of coals when you start said procedure, but theres not a thing left if you do it right.

A neighbor's old farm house last spring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here I thought that old barn wood was valuable to salvage!

Well it was an accident, his grandson (9 years old) and a friend were messing around inside the old house, and found some matches and paper. Figure out happened after that. I saw the smoke from a distance, rode my 4 wheeler up there, and called the rural fire department, no one was home at the time.

Well it was an accident, his grandson (9 years old) and a friend were messing around inside the old house, and found some matches and paper. Figure out happened after that. I saw the smoke from a distance, rode my 4 wheeler up there, and called the rural fire department, no one was home at the time.

Oh, well in that case I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully no one was hurt!

No one was hurt, it was an empty old house used for storage, I had to move two vehicles and their current house was a good distance away, some damage to the smaller sheds that were close.

Here is what I saw from my place, I knew something was wrong.

attachment.php

attachment.php

its too bad i didnt get pics of our football snack shack burning, but it be it was a sight to see. a small 2 story shed filled with about 1000 spray paint bottles, 2 propane tanks, rubber tires, plastic dummies, and countless other things went up. All because some kids were trying to light the spray paint on fire.....it worked.

Shoes make for a nice stinky fire. Batteries do too, nothing like a nice whiff of burning cadmium.
Those little watch batteries go boom pretty good too! I through a cheap $7.00 watch in a campfire once as it fogged up on me and started to play the Yellow Rose Of Texas over and over and over! True story it drove me nuts I tossed it in the fire 2min later boom! my hunting buddy thought I through a Cartridge in the fire.

A friend of mine and I once took apart 12 ga. shotgun shells and poured out the shot, then poured a bunch of powder into the shell, crimped the top back shut and threw it in a bonfire. Nice big boom, not very safe though!

I've smelled freon burning when repairing a leak on an A/C unit with an acetylene torch and brazing rod, nasty smelling stuff that takes your breath away and burns your nose. I couldn't imagine throwing a full freon can into an OWB.

AOD

My dad used to do A/C work on cars. I don't know about the new freon. But the old R-12 and the like when passed though a flame makes phosgene gas (spelling may be wrong) Which is a nerve gas the the Germans used in WW2. In fact if R-12 is leaking inside of the car and is inhaled though a cigarette it will turn it into a poison gas too.

On the other hand I like a little bond fire too.

IMG_0311.JPG

And its always good to have a little water hose to put it out when you leave.

IMG_0335.JPG

Billy

Back