Worst Wood to Split by Hand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank God its's not just me. I've split some tough oak, silver maple no problem, modesto ash, cottonwood piece of cake....but willow just about killed me. I would split and stack about 10 rounds after work each night. But that willow I would split maybe two rounds, break 2 wedges, throw some profanities then stop. It's been seasoning since Feb and there is still green leaves on it whereas all other stacks are gray already. Never again with the willow. It may not even burn it til next season. Live and learn I guess. :cry:

toss up between black gum and sycamore.
Or not, cause your not going to split either of these, you can crush em with a splitter but no way in hell are you gonna split em with a maul.

As a bit of a side note, an old guy named Nate taught my dad, and later taught me how to split wood by hand. Nate grew up during the depression and his dad ran a saw mill. Due to his background, during the war Nate was an inspector for the lumber used to build gliders and such. When he bought his farm (in the 60's I think), he paid $25K, and had the wallnut select harvested and paid the farm off the next year. Point is, that by the time dad and I met him in the 80's, he was a smart old man and he had been cutting wood all his life. Even in his 80's, he could walk up to any piece of wood, identify what it was, and know exactly where to hit it, and what to hit it with to make it split. I rarely saw him have to hit a piece of wood more than twice to split it, and I never saw him miss his intended mark. Even when I was a young teenager, he could outsplit 2 of me. The wood didn't need bark on it to identify it, and he knew whether it needed to season first, or to split it green. He knew whether to use an axe or a maul (he normally used an axe), and he knew how to read the grain in the wood, and any check patterns present in order to know exactly where to hit the wood to get it to pop open. He taught me (us) that where you hit the wood is a lot more important than what you hit it with, or how hard you hit it.

Just food for thought.
Mark

Elm- Like beaten on a huge rock, Another waste of time
Sweetgum- Forget it, Get a splitter.
Willow will split ok, But a 100 pound log will weigh 5 pounds after it dries out. Not worth the effort.
At least sweet gum will split,black gum(which prob anit a gum) won't.
And willow ani't worth the time it takes to clean the bark out of your bed even if lookin at it hard will split it.

And willow ani't worth the time it takes to clean the bark out of your bed even if lookin at it hard will split it.
Yep, I've split a bunch of it with the splitter, It looks really bad with all the shredding it does. If you let it dry out some it will slit smoother. Bad thin about sweetgum is it molds really bad and fast too even stored under a covered roof. Some of it we burned was black with mold. I throwed a lot of it on the outdoor burn pile. It also rots really fast if stored in the weather.

Elm is real hard to split. Twisty hard maple can be very hard also. I have some now that is a bear. I have one of the 15 pound monster maul. I can hit that maple more than 20 times and it will not budge.

Poor hardwood burners lol!

Everything out here in the PNW for the most part is easy by comparison. Red Fir, Larch and Pine all split nicely, even by hand.

Yep, I've split a bunch of it with the splitter, It looks really bad with all the shredding it does. If you let it dry out some it will slit smoother. Bad thin about sweetgum is it molds really bad and fast too even stored under a covered roof. Some of it we burned was black with mold. I throwed a lot of it on the outdoor burn pile. It also rots really fast if stored in the weather.
Yep, it anit worth much and you need to burn it pretty quick but I have so much of it in the way its gonna get burnt.
At least its easy cuttin and not much limbing.

Odd. I have heated my house almosst 100% with it for around 30 years and sell it at $120 cord. Of course the customers don't know better and there is alsothe fact that Willow is about the only wood available in abundance around here.

Granted you stuff the stoveabout 3 times as often but...

Looking forward to this heating season. I have stocked around 40 cords Black locust in the past 2 years and will be burning a lot of locust instead of willow.

Harry K

Black Gum makes elm look easy!

Black gum is the worst there is....bar none!

After looking at the pictures posted here of Elm after it is split I have to agree that Black Gum looks worse. The last I split with a TW-5 (it almost wouldnt split it) around 6 Inches diameter, the grain looked like a braided cable. I have never seen anything like it. Not sure why but I dont ever remember trimming or removing an Elm in my area. I'm not sure there are any around here.

Here, along the CT/NY line:

elm cannot be split; it can be cut.
chinquapin oak, with similar interlocking twisted grain, barely, with hydraulics.

Shagbark hickory can be split, preferably green or frozen. Worth it.

Black cherry and black locust get easier with seasoning & drying. Both are very resistant to rot- some really old dead falls are pretty easy to split, but the locust makes a saw work hard.

Sugar maple takes max effort, but worth it.

Sometimes the best you can do is to "daisy" a round- whittle chunks off around the exterior. And/or give it a little chainsaw "surgical prep."

Around here elm, hedge and shagbark hickory are all a PITA and that is with a splitter. You have to split a full ram cycle and then hatchet the strings or turn it around on big pieces.

I once got a walnut about 30" in diameter from a friend who was clearing a lot for a house. It must have been 30-40' to the first knot and straight as an arrow. By the time I got there and seen what it was he already had it cut up in 2 distinctly different lengths of firewood (to long and to short). Either way I had to split it some to be able to handle the pieces. Splitting walnut is great it really makes you feel like a man one hit and it is apart. I probably split that tree faster by hand than I could have with a splitter.

Here in the UP of Michigan the worst to split used to be Elm, but it's been long gone for years. Of the wood I split each year Yellow Birch is a bugger when it gets big. We burn a little Tamarack and it can be real tough to split as well. Hard Maple is OK to split, and,,,, well,,,, Red Oak and Wild Cherry are a real splitting VACATION! But I usually don't have any Oak or Cherry to spit.

Elm is at the top of my list, followed by sweet gum. Finally got through my last elm round the other day, Thank God ! My Fiskars wasn't up to the task of splittin the concrete wood, had to use a wedge, and 10# sledge. :givebeer:

Elm.jpg

I brought home a few thousand pounds of Elm Today (((((((Very muffled--> Yaaah)))):censored: It will heat the house though (and it was free, already loaded on a trailer, I brought my trailer and left it for him to fill again while I unload his) Free-Free-Free (it's worth it Right????):censored:

hardest wood to split

Eucalyptus. does the same thing as elm (stringy) when green. Stalls the ram on my TW6 when it's seasoned. A maul just bounces off it when seasoned.
Next worst is mountain mahogany - Ok with the splitter because it never gets real big, but mauls bounce off it green or dry.

Back