Worth more as log or firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
Reaction score
The top blew out of a nice cherry tree a couple of weeks ago. I cut the top up for firewood but I left the log. I was wondering if I could get some opinions whether the log would be worth more as firewood or sell it to a mill? These are approx. measurements (no tape measure with me in the bush).
Butt end = 18"
top end = 14"
length = 18'
I have been selling my wood for $50 a face chord picked up.
Below are pics of the log.

Last edited:
If I was a timber buyer and knew that it was a wind damaged tree in cherry.I would not buy it.But that is me.
By the time you load the log and haul it somewhere that MIGHT buy it.. I imagine you are back at firewood prices anyhow.

Agree with ericjeeper

Most mills around here wouldn't touch it.

The only valuable part of the cherry is the heartwood so that log yield will fall drastically. The cost of getting it to the mill is probably prohibitive and your time is not free. Based upon your post you could probably turn that log into $75 to $100 as firewood.

Another option would be if you can get it to or have someone with an Alaskan mill process it, but most of the guys I know don't want to set up for just one or 2 logs.

Take Care

around here thats a sweet cherry tree! id sell it to a log buyer, but call and get specs first, or see if they will come out and tell you how to best utilize the wood you have.

around here, most log buyers wont even talk to you. They are only buy from a select few people out of forests, they are very leary to buy from just anyone who might pull a tree out of a fence line etc etc and have metal in it which would really mess up their saw blades

Look around- mills are closing, those that are open are only taking the best prime logs in quantity and paying next to nothing for them, timber prices are at an all-time low. Either have it sawn and dried and store it yourself as an investment, or save alot of time and grief and firewood it.:cheers:

Turn Bowls With It...

A skilled bowl turner running a good lathe would give his eyeteeth for that beautiful log. You are looking at 50 bowls worth at least $150 apiece. How many skilled bowl turners are there in your area?

Last edited:
I have no idea, I really dont know anyone that even has a lathe.
It just seems like such a shame to firewood such a nice log.

Last edited:
Yeah, like the other fella said, transport it to a small sawmill operation and have it quartersawn. Sticker the pile and wait for it to dry and then you have something worthwhile, that's assuming you have a decent place to pile it under cover.

A tree that is wind damaged could have cracks and breaks inside that would make the log worthless for lumber.

Wind damage

The wind damage thing is good to know. The tree actually broke at a "Y" crotch. I sawed the split stuff off until I did not see any more cracks, then I cut an extra 16" off for good measure. Do you still think this log would be able to be sawn for my own boards, my neighbour has a small mill, and with some sweet talking (beer:)). He may let me saw the log there.
I have another question?
Is there that much more value in dried cherry boards? I have no experience with hardwood lumber at all.

Thanks TS:cheers:

Around here, you would probably get $150 or so for the log, but I doubt many lumber companies will want to come mess with just one log. Last year, my brother cut down a nice Cherry on his lawn, just so happens a lumber company in the area drives by his place quite often, so they stopped & put in on their truck. They wouldn't have made a special trip for it, but if someone was going to be in your area, I'm sure they would consider grabbing it for lumber. Otherwise, chop it up, I love burning Cherry.

Mill is close by

The thing is, is that there are 2 or 3 mills within 20 miles of my place. I was thinkin of loading the whole log on a wagon and towing it to the mill myself. I might call around in the morning and see if I can get some prices on cherry. I logged our place 2 years ago myself and at that time I got $1 per board foot for the cherry I had. I was hoping I could get a similar price for this log? But I don't have any idea what the market for cherry is like around here. I have heard that all the prices are way down? Maybe I will look into gettin the log sawn for myself and try to sell the boards at a later date if it would have more value that way? Just some thoughts.
I really apreciate all the thoughts and opinions.

thanks TS:cheers:

Last edited:
The thing is, is that there are 2 or 3 mills within 20 miles of my place. I was thinkin of loading the whole log on a wagon and towing it to the mill myself. I might call around in the morning and see if I can get some prices on cherry. I logged our place 2 years ago myself and at that time I got $1 per board foot for the cherry I had. I was hoping I could get a similar price for this log? But I don't hve any idea what the market for cherry is like around here. I have heard that all the prices are way down? Maybe I will look into gettin the log sawn for myself and try to sell the boards at a later date if it would hace more value that way? Just some thoughts.
I really apreciate all the thoughts and opinions.

Have it milled and it becomes native lumber, felled by native hands and milled by yet another native........that has to still be worth something even in this slumping economy. On the other hand, in the amount of time we spend debating it's use you could have cut, split, dryed and stuffed it through the woodstove!

Quality

When I logged this place 2 years ago I really tryed to soak up what the buyer was telling me (He was very helpful but that is another story). From what I know this log would be very close to veneer quality (straight, no catsfaces?), the only thing I could see is on the but end you can see a few dark spots, which I believe are called pitch spots. Last time the buyer told me I could chance it and start cutting chunks off the butt end of this type of log to see if the pitch marks go away. If that is the case the log may very well be veneer quality which I assume would greatly increase the price.

This all may seem silly to alot of you. But at the present time I am layed off from work, and my wife is on maternity leave. So if I could make an extra hundred bucks I would be willing to haul it to the mill.

Back