Would a Port and Polished MS 361 run with a stock MS 440/441???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
Just want to know what the experts here on these forums think........ and actually know for a fact?? :rockn: One fact would be that the MS 361 would weigh bout 2+ pounds less in bulk ;) I am just wondering? No heated debates allowed here :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Just fun! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Just want to know what the experts here on these forums think........ and actually know for a fact?? :rockn: One fact would be that the MS 361 would weigh bout 2+ pounds less in bulk;) I am just wondering? No heated debates allowed here :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Just buy a 660 and be done with it......:givebeer:

04ultra said:
Just buy a 660 and be done with it......:givebeer:
Cuz 04ultra.......it is much cheaper :D and 4 + pounds lighter :rockn: that's why :popcorn: LOL! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

It's not cheaper after you pay someone to mod it!:biggrinbounce2:

or

It's not cheaper if you mess up the cylinder while modding it ($300):hmm3grin2orange:

Polishing alone? na... with careful port, piston, carb, ignition timing, air filter mods and muffler work.. sure

So... yes... you can get that type of power (not the same power band though) BUT, it won't last. You have smaller areas (cylinder fins etc) for cooling, weaker cranks, wimpy flywheels (in comparison), weaker clutch, etc etc...

Reasonable limits need to be applied to over stressing a design that was cost reduced in the first place...

Stihl had problems in the early day of the 440 by scaling it up from the 036 design, and ended up with a redesigned crank. Ditto on the 064/066.

If you don't care, and want a hot rod for a few hundred hours of life, then that fine. Of course if you snap the crank in the first hour...

"There is NO replacement for displacement" - who said that recently:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
talon1189 said:
Just want to know what the experts here on these forums think........ and actually know for a fact?? :rockn: One fact would be that the MS 361 would weigh bout 2+ pounds less in bulk ;) I am just wondering? No heated debates allowed here :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Just fun! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Yes, it should :biggrinbounce2:

Thanks...... Lake............The old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" was an 50's to 70's saying in car racing......In drag racing.....both nitrous oxide + turbos, and centrifical superchargers do replace "displacement" in drag racing in gasoline powered cars :rock: Just not in the NHRA yet. Maybe not chainsaws yet :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: just wait about another 10-15 years thou :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon :D

IMO you should get a 066 and mod it, or better yet an 084, 088 or 090!:) GO BIG OR GO HOME!:hmm3grin2orange:

I will admit my arms are tired right now from cutting firewood with my 084 today.

Last edited:
no no no, you weren't listening to her again!!! she said "go hard or go home", or was it "get hard or... "... I forget...

talon1189 said:
Thanks...... Lake............The old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" was an 50's to 70's saying in car racing......In drag racing.....both nitrous oxide + turbos, and centrifical superchargers do replace "displacement" in drag racing in gasoline powered cars :rock: Just not in the NHRA yet. Maybe not chainsaws yet :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: just wait about another 10-15 years thou :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon :D
Have you ever herd the saying "I'd rather be stroked then blown"
now keeping your mind out of the gutter. that saying brings you back to displacement.
Yes you can get gains on a ported saw. lots of guys do it.
to match a 044 I don't know.

to match a 044 I don't know.

talon1189 said:
Manual..............quit sucking Thalls ass :hmm3grin2orange: I know that you are a Husky man at heart :bowdown: >>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
OK just for you.
I'll make a Saw mods for Dummies part 2 the ms361
Coming soon.

talon1189 said:

Not in NRHA yet?

It hurts to be from the old big iron and jets skool and watch a 4 cyl. bottle feed Civic draging the chuts at the far light @ 200mph 7.00 ET's

ShoerFast said:
Not in NRHA yet?

It hurts to be from the old big iron and jets skool and watch a 4 cyl. bottle feed Civic draging the chuts at the far light @ 200mph 7.00 ET's

Or plugging in a tuner and pulling another 120hp or so when it used to take work from the bottom up...not to mention the blood and expletives...

Chaser

ShoerFast said:
Not in NRHA yet?

Yup.........I agree.......I an old 428 Corbra Jet Ford man myself :( The NHRA has reconized the 4 and 6 cylinder technology that is here today? But........I own a turbo-chargered 1990 Eagle Talon AWD w/o nitrous that runs 11:70's and quicker. Technology is everything my friend :) The Technology is here "Today":) Sorry if this is off topic.....:chainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

rahtreelimbs said:
IMO it all depends on what you are cutting!

I have 2 woods ported 361's and they are about a stout as a 60cc gets. In 12-14 in. and under wood I think it would be a a draw. However hang an 18-20 in. bar on it and cut 18-20" wood the 440 would have the advantage.
Your opinion rates very high in my book :rockn: Thanks for sharing this with us :rock: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Your opinion rates very high in my book :rockn: Thanks for sharing this with us :rock: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Personally I see no problem with a jump from........say.......a 346 to a 372/7900/440/441 size saw!!!

I like the 60cc saws (359 & 361) because they mod well and I have this shred sickness on needed saws for absolutely nothing!!!:cheers:

rahtreelimbs said:
IMO it all depends on what you are cutting!

I have 2 woods ported 361's and they are about a stout as a 60cc gets. In 12-14 in. and under wood I think it would be a a draw. However hang an 18-20 in. bar on it and cut 18-20" wood the 440 would have the advantage.
So what size bar are you using ?
I cut mostly oak most of the bells are 16 to 20 inch. I use the modded jonny red with a 20" bar.
Now I am going to modd my 361 for the smaller stuff. I use a 18" bar now.
Do you think I will gain more with a 16" bar

Latest posts

Back