Would like to have some advice-pic included.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbwilson1967

Reaction score
How would you go about removing these limbs that are hanging over my roof.EX: how would you lower the limb,what rigging knot would you use,can this be done by one person,ect. Any other information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 296726

Looks like there is some separation between the limbs and the roof to work with. I would establish a rigging point as high as possible, and clear of the house. Rig the bullrope mid balance point on the limb, and then cut further back. The limb will swing backoff of the house. Simple in concept, a bit more complicated in practice. And yes, I would want a good groundie to work with me on the rope. Jeff

No disrespect, but if you have to ask, I wouldn't do it. I do stuff like that everyday as do must climbers and sometimes it may look easy, and to use it probably is, but the foremen wouldn't send up the rookie to do it, and a rookie would know what to do, and have experience people helping him, If all you have is some advice from aboristsite, your a you tube video in the making.
I'm assuming you don't do this for a living?
You could always get a long pole saw and just cut little pieces if you don't want to or can't afford to hire a pro.

you posted a picture of the limbs but not the whole situation.

are you the homeowner?

If you're going to do the tree work yourself, I'd say yes, someone on the ground sure makes the job go easier on you. As for large limbs over a house, TJL gave you some good advice. Be careful, and think it out first.

That pic tells nothing about the situation. It might be really easy, simple even, or very difficult.

No matter how easy or hard it is to remove those limbs, there is a lot more to it then that. Making a proper cut. finding the best lateral so the tree will still have some shape, not taking off enough or taking off to much. Maybe the limb(s) can be selectively pruned by removing several small limbs. Do you know how to make a undercut so you don't have a big rip? Will the tree be out of balance or have a big hole in it. What's going to happen when you cut that limb? Is it going to swing, fall, bounce the one your standing on?
You going to leave a big jagged stub that'll either bush out or die and rot back to the main trunk, and look hideous? Can the limbs just be lighten so they'll lift up. Will cutting to much of those branches cause rest the tree to sucker out, or get sunburned? Sure we can say tie this kind of knot on that part of the limb, but that's like telling you after you crash your fender on your car. Sure, Slap some bondo on that sucker then sand it, it'll be good as new.
I see all the time what I call Homeowner cuts, and there never good, neither are gardener cuts. Need your gall blatter removed? Give me a scalpel and I'll do it. I mean how hard can it be?
My point is just because you can get those limbs down, hopefully without hurting your self or house, doesn't mean it'll be done right. Please hire a professional.

No matter how easy or hard it is to remove those limbs, there is a lot more to it then that. Making a proper cut. finding the best lateral so the tree will still have some shape, not taking off enough or taking off to much. Maybe the limb(s) can be selectively pruned by removing several small limbs. Do you know how to make a undercut so you don't have a big rip? Will the tree be out of balance or have a big hole in it. What's going to happen when you cut that limb? Is it going to swing, fall, bounce the one your standing on?
You going to leave a big jagged stub that'll either bush out or die and rot back to the main trunk, and look hideous? Can the limbs just be lighten so they'll lift up. Will cutting to much of those branches cause rest the tree to sucker out, or get sunburned? Sure we can say tie this kind of knot on that part of the limb, but that's like telling you after you crash your fender on your car. Sure, Slap some bondo on that sucker then sand it, it'll be good as new.
I see all the time what I call Homeowner cuts, and there never good, neither are gardener cuts. Need your gall blatter removed? Give me a scalpel and I'll do it. I mean how hard can it be?
My point is just because you can get those limbs down, hopefully without hurting your self or house, doesn't mean it'll be done right. Please hire a professional.

My guess is he wanted to cut the whole limb out, the tree then will stress closing the wound. When likely removing several smaller limbs would be sufficient. It's hard to give advice to a ho knowing full well the possibility of injury is high, for what a 400 dollar prune job. If I was not a pro I would pay to have mine pruned for sure.

Not the best pic, and only one view, but it looks like somebody nubbed it 8-10 years ago and the regrowth headed right back over the house. If they had reduced it back to the trunk then, it wouldn't have happened. I'd probably wait until fall. Where in Texas are ya at, Herb?

Latest posts

Back