Would tree wrapping cause sunscalding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSono

Reaction score
Use of tree wrapping is a really contentious point.
It seems the cons outweight the pros. Why severe temperature changes occur beneath the wraps?
Would tree wrapping cause sunscalding?

When it comes to tree wrapping, are you talking about wrapping the trunk and exposed branches of the tree? I'm in Utah, were we have freezing and thawing temperatures in the winter. We usually recommend this for younger trees with thin bark to prevent southwest winter damage to the trunks. We also recommend using white colored wraps that will not heat up as much when the sun gets on them in the winter.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm referring to tree trunk wrapped with synthetic material. The material is tough to break usually made of oil, if stays long it can griddle the tree, it is some Asian countries custom to worship tree. Although the color varies, the main color is blue, it also causes pests to burrow underneath.

Attachments

• DSC_0512.JPG
    DSC_0512.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 6
That isn't gonna cause sun scald. Doesn't make it good for the tree...just not sun scald. Of course when that is taken off, the bark under it may be weak and more prone to scald.

I found out there could be two factors that wraps can harm tree trunk other than gridling if stays long enough
1. Color: dark colored or thick wrap can absorb light, heat up which causes sunscalding
2. Moisture: it holds moisture and temperature drop can frost tree underneath or causes extreme temperature fluctuations
Wondering if anyone had seen it.

Latest posts

Back